[10] Can you change your fate?

We all walk through security

We all walk through security. As Charles gets wheeled forward though, the metal detector obviously starts going off.

"Can I see your invitation please?" A security man asks.

Charles puts two fingers to his forehead. "Yes, you may. These three are with me."

The security man looks lost for a second, as if something has just appeared that wasn't present before.

In the end he just nods. "Go ahead."

We don't give him the chance to second guess himself. The further we walk into the crowd, the louder their thoughts become. None of them make any real sense. It honestly just sounds like one big incoherent blob of noise. I have to try to control myself though. We have a job to do and we can't fail. There's no room for mistakes.

Finally I hear a semi familiar thought and turn around, seeing Logan still standing by the metal detector. He almost looks at it in shock, as if he expected it to go off or something.

"Hey, Logan." I call. "Pick up the pace."

He seems to be shaken out of whatever trance he was previously in and he walks forward with the rest of us.

Eventually we all settle in the middle of the large crowd. I'm holding my head in my hands at this point. The pain becoming almost more than I can bear.

"Have you found her, Charles?" Hank asks.

He shakes his head. "Not yet, there are a lot of people here."

"Let me help," I say in the clearest voice I can muster. "I can help."

Charles turns to me, only now seeming to notice the pain I'm in.

"Just try to concentrate on one person's thoughts at a time. It will help you focus." He says.

I send him a small smile. That does sound like decent advice, and he would know what to do, right? That's what the others were saying earlier. Charles has been learning how to use his powers for decades. It couldn't hurt to take some pointers.

So I do as he said and first focus on a tall lady standing a few feet away from us.

'I know he's going to propose tonight, why else would he bring me as his plus one?' She thinks ecstatically.

Definitely not Mystique.

Next I look to a blonde guy, maybe in his mid twenties.

'This is so cool. I'm going to see the actual president! Ken's gonna be so jealous.'

Nope, that's not her either.

I repeat this process a few times over and miraculously enough, it does seem to be calming down my mind. It's almost as if I'm putting myself in control. I'm no longer just listening to music, but I'm now picking the song. I can have a say in what my powers do...and I'm not even using my hat.