[8] Never let fear decide your fate

In the end I did go back and find the others

In the end I did go back and find the others. I didn't talk too much on the flight back home, not that they seemed to mind. Even now, as we drive off to who knows where, everyone seems to be stuck inside of their own heads. Unfortunately for me, I no longer have that luxury.

Somethings wrong with me. I think that there's physically something wrong inside of me. Something unnatural, something that shouldn't exist. People just should not be able to get shot in the head and walk it off like nothing ever happened. Even if you have some kind of healing mutation, one that can keep harm away, even then you would have some evidence of the event. For me though, the entire situation seemed to disappear. I don't even know how I did it, all I do know is that it shouldn't be possible. That it feels...like a mistake.

That's obviously not the only thing that sticks out to me personally about our trip to Paris. Sadly, it's just the easier one to digest.

I stare out the window, looking at the looming mansion ahead of us. With green grass and tall trees. It looks almost exactly like how I pictured the secret garden when I read the book three years back.

"What are you, rich?" I mumble my first words in a long while.

Charles sighs. "Something like that."

I stiffen at his voice, but try my best to not show it. "Oh, so you just choose to dress like a hobo then. I get it."

I bite my bottom lip, anticipating his response. Almost hoping that he says something horrible that can make me justify this perception of him I now want...need to have. He doesn't say a word though, no one does. Logan just parks the car and we all head into the large building.

Even I have to admit, the place is extraordinary. The grand staircase leading up to probably countless rooms. I can see how this used to be some kind of school, how people used to shuffle through these halls. Now though? It almost feels haunted, like a ghost still lingering around after everyone else has moved on.

My sightseeing gets interrupted though by a loud thud at my side.

"What happened?" Logan asks as Hank bends down to help a now collapsed Charles.

Hank tries to steady him. "Come on, up-"

"Why can't he walk?" Logan asks again.

"He needs his treatment." Hank says.

Charles just grabs at his head, appearing to be in absolute agony. "Hank, I can hear them."

"I know, it's okay."

"Can you make it stop?" He asks.

Hank rushes off. "I'll go get it."

I watch him for a moment, his unfocused thoughts running through my own mind.

"Hey, hey." Logan says. "Pull yourself together. It's not over yet."

Charles just stares directly into his eyes. "You don't believe that."