[9] Maybe fate is choices, not chance

We all stand around Charles once again as he uses Cerebro to reach out to Raven

We all stand around Charles once again as he uses Cerebro to reach out to Raven. To be entirely honest, I'm not exactly sure how this all works. I mean, a machine that can harness mind reading abilities and put it to use on a global scale? That's pretty wild.

Charles seems to be more in control this time around. There haven't been any explosions at least. The entire image looks more...orderly. The thoughts are more quiet, almost as if he's scanning through each and every one separately.

"Raven." He breathes, signaling that he has found her. "Stop, stop running."

"Charles? Where are you?" Her voice echoes around the room.

He looks at our surroundings, "back at the house. Where you should be. I need you to come home."

"I know what I need to do." She stubbornly replies.

Charles sighs. "If you kill Trask you'll be creating countless more just like him."

Her voice comes in more muffled this time, as if Charles is having to chase after her. "Then I'll kill them too."

"Those are Erik's words." Charles says. "Not yours."

I look down at that. I love my dad. Despite everything I still love him. It's hard to act like I see him in a different way now because I really don't. When I think of my dad I remember all of the good times. How he would put little bows in my hair or give me piggyback rides at the park. I even think about the bad times, all of the terrible things that happened. We went through it all together though. Despite everything, he used to always be there for me.

Now I have to force myself to remember the present. How just yesterday he almost ruined the world because he thought it was what he needed to do. How even now, he's most likely trying to come up with some plan to kill Trask and countless other semi innocents.

I don't want to save ordinary people. A part of me whispers in my ear that I'd be fine with letting them all die. A stronger part shouts back though that isn't who I want to be. I was right, there are no heroes and there are no villains. But maybe, just maybe, people's perceptions of you matter more than I previously thought. Looking around just this room alone, I can confidently say that I don't want to be the villain of these peoples stories. Of my friend's stories. So if it is true, that actions speak louder than thoughts, I will try my best to be someone looked up to. Someone who leaves this world with a positive memory.

"The girl I grew up with," Charles speaks again, "wasn't capable of killing. She was good, fair, full of compassion."

"I have compassion. Just not for Trask. He's murdered too many of us."

Logan shakes his head. "Shut her down, Charles. Get in her head."

"She's not letting me in." Charles says.

I shrug. "Then try harder. This is the only chance we've got."

"I'm barely holding on." He tells us. "I'm not strong enough yet. Unless..."