Chapter Seventeen: Simbelmynë

Start from the beginning

"Calithiliel has been behaving strangely of late and I have been concerned about her. We have a long way to travel before we return to the woodland realm and I don't want her to become unwell. She is more than just my ride. She is my friend." Alethris called out to Calithiliel, but she did not respond. Alethris was puzzled. "That is not like her." So she called her again. Reluctantly, Calithiliel came trotting over, closely followed by Firefoot. Alethris stroked and patted her. She offered her an apple, but the horse declined it. Alethris could sense something was wrong. "Calithiliel, are you ill?"

Eowyn offered to examine her, and while Alethris looked on, she spoke gently to Calithiliel. Patting her body, put her ear to her side, then smiled. "I know what is wrong. Calithiliel is in foal."

Alethris could not believe it. "In foal. How can she be?"

Eowyn laughed. "Firefoot, you sly old thing. Just wait till I tell Éomer. They must have got together when you first came to Edoras." Firefoot lowered his head in acknowledgement. Then the two horses nuzzled each other affectionately.

Alethris stroked Calithiliel and spoke with her in horse's tongue. At once, she understood Calithiliel's dilemma and why she had been so distant. "If that is what you want, I will not stand in your way." They nuzzled and Alethris held her close before Calithiliel returned to the other side of the paddock with Firefoot. Leaving Alethris heartbroken. "Calithiliel wishes to remain with Firefoot. She wants to be known by her Rhohirm name Simbelmynë. She says she loves me, but her heart and home are in the land of her birth."

Eowyn embraced her. "You are a most loving rider to honour her wishes. Take comfort, she will never forget you. Her sire was a remarkable horse and her foal may well be a King's horse someday. Let us speak with my brother. I am sure he will compensate you generously."

Éomer was very sympathetic. "Maeras mate for life. It is no surprise she will not leave him. Let us go down to the stables and we will find a replacement among my livestock. Think of it as a gift of friendship between our peoples." The royal stables were a vast complex of wooden buildings carved with images of horses. Eomer led Thranduil and Alethris into the most ornate building."Queen Alethris, do you ride with or without a saddle?"

Alethris stared at the many rows of stalls. It was even grander than the royal stables of the Elven Halls. "I was taught to ride without, but I can ride with if the horse prefers."

Eomer looked thoughtful as he led them about the stalls. "These are some of my best horses, some are even Maeras like Simbelmynë Now I wonder, which of them would carry a queen?" As they made their way along the rows, a stallion kicked at the door of his stall. Eomer observed him and frowned. "Dark Star, he is trouble that one." Dark Star was a black horse with a white star mark on his forehead. "One of the few black horses left after many were stolen from the Rohirrim by Orcs. He's a reliable horse, mostly, but a little full of himself."

Alethris approached the horse, and he bowed his head, allowing her to stroke him. "You are a forward fellow, aren't you, Dark Star." She looked back at Eomer. "May I ride him?"

"Of course, why not take him for a canter around the paddock? See how he behaves?" replied Éomer. So Alethris led the Dark Star out to a nearby paddock and mounted him.

Eomer and Thranduil watched them from the side as Alethris and Dark Star trotted around the enclosure. "An expert horsewoman, your queen," said Éomer

Thranduil nodded. "She spends much of her spare time riding in the Woodland Realm." He looked at Dark Star. "Is that horse, fast?"

"As a matter of fact, he is very fast. Why does Alethris not like fast horses?"

"On the contrary, we race often."

"And my Lord King likes to win," called Alethris.

"Oh well, Dark Star likes to race, and win at that," replied Éomer.

"I think he is a little boisterous for you Melleth nin, why not borrow one of my horses and I will pick you a new one when we get home," called Thranduil.

"No, I like him and I think he likes me too," said Alethris as she dismounted.

Thranduil looked at Eomer and rolled his eyes. "That is what I was afraid of, but my Queen shall have all she desires."

Eomer winked as he patted him on the shoulder. "He should give you some fine foals if you put him among your best mares."

Legolas joined them at the paddock and appraised Alethris's new ride. "Now he is a beauty, what is he called?"

"The Rohirrim call him Dark Star," replied Thranduil. "He's a cocky beast."

"Do you think he will accept commands in Sindarin?" asked Legolas.

"I think he will in time," replied Alethris. She patted and stroked the horse, then asked for an apple. Eomer threw her one from a nearby barrel. As she fed the horse, she spoke with him in horse tongue." Your name, Dark Star, is Dúrgilroch in Sindarin; do you think you can answer to that?" The horse acknowledged her words. Alethris led Dúrgilroch to the side of the paddock. "King Eomer, if it pleases you I would be most happy to accept Dúrgilroch."

"Very well, Queen Alethris, he is yours. I will be glad to see the back of him. But I think he will behave for you, he can be a charmer dispite his mischief," replied Eomer.

"And if you ever bolt or throw her off, I will have you gelded," Thranduil whispered to the horse, who responded with a neigh and a toss of his mane.

Legolas laughed. "He reminds me of you, Ada." Thranduil glared at him.

That evening, Arwen came to the Wood Elves' camp and asked to speak with Alethris in private. Silently they walked arm in arm till they were a little way from the encampment. Arwen then turned to Alethris. "I wanted to say farewell to you in case I do not get a chance tomorrow when you and the others go northward."

"You are not coming to Isengard with Elessar?" asked Alethris.

Arwen shook her head. "I can come no further, another day is just delaying what must come. I shall stay here with Eowyn, Lothíriel and my ladies to await Elessar's return." Tears welled in her eyes as she took Alethris's hands and kissed her forehead. "I have enjoyed getting to know my little sister, though you are older than all of us. Ada will find the next few days difficult, promise me, you will be a comfort to him on the journey back to Imladris. Tomorrow I must bid him farewell....... forever. He will be gone by the time I return there." Alethris promised she would and the two of them watched the stars for a time. When at last it was time to retire, they clung to each other in a silent embrace before going their separate ways.

-------------------------------------------------

There was a sombre mood in the air that morning, as Arwen bid a tearful farewell to Kinfolk. "Remember what you promised me," were her last words to Alethris before she and Elrond rode their horses into the hills for their own final farewell.

Lothíriel and her family were among those who had come to bid those travelling north farewell. "Father and King Eomer have arranged for him to visit Dol Amroth next spring, and the Queen says I may have leave to attend," said Lothíriel excitedly.

Alethris suspected it would not be long before Lothíriel was a queen herself. Though it would be unlikely, she could attend the wedding. Thranduil would most likely send Legolas as their emissary. Eowyn then brought the Stirrup cup to Thranduil and Alethris, and they both partook. "Please look after Arwen upon her return. This will be difficult for her."

"I will be there in whatever way she needs me," replied Eowyn, and they embraced.

Holdred brought Dúrgilroch to Alethris and helped her to mount him. "You will take good care of Simbelmynë, won't you?"

"Indeed, I shall. Farewell Queen Alethris, it has been a pleasure to meet you, have a safe journey."

As the travellers left Edoras to go north, they passed the paddock where Simbelmynë was grazing with Firefoot. "Farewell, my dear friend," whispered Alethris to herself. The horse lifted her head towards her, then neighed and whinnied as if to say goodbye. Alethris turned and waved goodbye before turning her gaze to the road ahead.