Chapter 2 - Ghostly Guide

Start from the beginning

I glance around me, my stomach turning over nervously.

"Who's there?" I call out carefully. Another chill rushes over my back and I turn around to see an old woman, or rather the ghost of one, standing behind me. I practically jump out of my skin at the sight of her standing so close. She last wore a comfortable sleeping gown with her stringy grey hair down and around her shoulders. "Hello," I greet as kindly as I can. I hope she's friendly.

"Good evening," she replies. She looks me over carefully before taking a step back. "Is that your wolf friend up ahead?" I hesitate, but nod and glance in the direction that Wyatt ran.

"I don't want to be rude, but who are you?" I ask. "And why are you here?" I haven't really developed my medium talent, yet. I can talk to spirits, but I can't summon them. This woman sensed me and sought me out. 

"I used to live around here," she informs me, speaking gently. "Your friend will probably find my home soon."

"Oh." She was probably just protecting her territory. We watch each other for a few moments. "Well, my name is Maverick, it's nice to meet you." I would reach my hand out for her to shake it, but I know she won't be able to.

"I'm Cyrena," she introduces herself. "What are you doing in this area of the forest?" she asks me.

"My friend and I are traveling to the River Falls Frollick," I tell her honestly. "We were looking for a place to rest for the night."

"You boys are more than welcome to stay in my home," she tells me, "come, follow me this way." She turns to move without another word. I watch for a second before hurrying along after her. I call out for Wyatt and after a few moments he comes barreling towards me from in front of the dead lady.

His giant wolf crashes through her body and stops in front of me. He shifts into his natural form and grabs a pair of shorts from me.

"We should turn around," he says quickly, grabbing my arm and pulling me backwards.

"What? No," I tell him, glancing back at Cyrena standing ahead of us, "why?"

"Someone fucking died up there!" he yells back, tugging me again. The ghost only laughs. "I don't know, man, but there was a fire up there, it's still kind of smoking, and there are bones in the pit."

"That's just me," the old woman says with a wave of her hand as she beckons me along, "I asked my daughter to burn my body."

"That's just the woman who lived in the house up there," I tell Wyatt dismissively. His eyes bug out of his head and he turns to look around us.

"Is she here?" he asks, looking back at me. "Did she tell you that?" I smile, grateful that he trusts me so easily, and nod my head.

"She's probably what you smelled earlier," I tell him, gesturing in her direction. "She told me we could rest in her house for the night." We follow Cyrena a short distance to her house, talking with her the whole way. Though Wyatt can't see or hear her, she answers all of his questions and I reiterate for him.

When we arrive, the first thing I notice is that it doesn't look abandoned. The woman informs me that she only passed a day earlier.

"My daughter would have left this morning," she tells me, "she was heading to River Falls, too. You might meet her there."

"Is this her?" Wyatt asks her, picking up a picture of a beautiful woman with brilliant red hair. She looks no older than me, in other words, much too young to be this old woman's daughter. Cyrena nods at Wyatt. She must see the confused look on my face, because she goes on to explain.