𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒶𝓇𝓂𝓈 𝓉𝒽𝒶𝓉 𝒽𝑒𝓁𝒹 𝓂𝑒

Start bij het begin

Jo sits uncomfortably on the rickety benches between Eren and Levi. She got bored of this lunatic a long time ago, raging on about how island-born Eldians are scum of the earth. She's resorted to picking her nails to bide her time. It seems like this whole trip, though enjoyable and eye-opening, has turned out to be a waste of time. Dealing with people like this and their twisted views... they won't get any closer to fixing Paradis' crisis.

"Our true enemies are the devils of that island!"

The crowd erupts in cheers and hollers of agreement.

"What a fucking shitshow..." Jo mutters absentmindedly.

Levi gives her a nudge with his foot that means "keep your voice down". She sighs weakly. She's about to lean her head on Eren's shoulder but realizes with a startle that he's no longer next to her.

That's strange... he was here a second ago... She looks around wildly and spots the back of him, dark outgrown hair tucked under his hat, walking numbly out the door. He slips away and is gone in the blink of an eye. Gone without so much as a word.

The rest of the day treads on aimlessly; Levi and Hanji are out of ideas. Everyone feels stumped. The squad was instructed to return to their rooms and wait out the rest of their visit in the Azumabito's provided shelter, that assembly having served as a grim reminder that truly no one is on their side. And that so long as their feet are touching Marley soil, no one is safe. Levi and Hanji took to Miss Kiyomi's office in the meantime where they discussed how to proceed from here.

Jo secretly envies the conversations going on within those four walls. She wishes to be a part of them, to at least sit and listen. It'll give her something to do. But she supposes some downtime is beneficial for her mind and body. So in retrospect, being limited to her room isn't that horrible.

Eren has been quiet today. Very quiet in comparison to how he was acting yesterday. She understands though; the words spoken at the assembly were incredibly distressing. It's difficult knowing the whole world is against you simply because of your race and a long-spanning history you yourself aren't a part of. Yes, she wants to seek freedom for Eldians too. Of course and without a doubt. But this wasn't always her dream, not like Eren. He's had this dream since he was a bright-eyed, voracious child with an appetite for change. It must be so taxing for him to have his vision crushed over, and over, and over again.

Therefore, she understands he's taken some space to think and probably mull over this tight predicament.

But when she hears a knock on her door and she arises from a blithe nap she hadn't planned on taking, she is happy to see it's Eren on the other side.

He forces a dim smile. "Let's take a walk."

╳ ╳ ╳

Its another beautifully serene night, except this time the sky is lackluster and devoid of light: starless, murky and imperceptible. If Jo squints intently she can make out vague swirls and shapes amongst the pitch black of the clouds.

Her and Eren walk along the shore, having strayed farther down the beach than last time, two or more miles away from the immigrants who have set up their humble tents and created dwellings out of their alienation.

They snuck out again. However, it's become so blatantly easy that Jo suspects Levi is actually well-aware of their rendezvous. Maybe he's secretly letting it slide.