Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Bad News Boggles Boy In Broadcast

A TV reporter was interviewing a doctor and the latest victim of a new and wildly spreading pandemic.

“Doctor,” said the reporter on the TV, “What can you tell us about this mysteriously spreading pandemic?”

“All I can say . . . and should say at this point . . . is that it’s all in the victim’s head,” replied the Doctor, “you know, infecting the mind. It’s a complete mystery. I call it the Pango Syndrome, named after myself, of course, Dr. Dorian Pango. And for reasons that are not yet clear, it seems to have chosen our children as its host; particularly those with weakened willpower of the mind. It leeches onto these kids and drains their minds of every single dream they’ve ever had for what they want to be and do in life. And there’s no known cure. All of them fall into a zombie-like state of existence, operating like robots, with society telling them what to do. At least that’s been my observation abroad.”

“And so tell us, Daniel,” said the reporter, turning his attention away from the doctor and down to a boy, “you’ve actually acquired this pandemic disease spreading around the world, or the Pango Syndrome, as the doctor has coined it. It’s not killing you or making you sick in any way, right? Can you describe the symptoms for us, Daniel?”

The chubby-faced, brown-haired boy stared into a camera near the reporter, his eyes changing from an autumn brown to a winter gray.

“W . . . well,” he said trembling, “at first it was like someone or something was following me, you know, stalking me. Then, I began losing my willpower. Then it was gone.”

**

J.R. leaned forward in a panic, staring at the TV. The boy’s symptoms sounded just like his own.

**

“And before I knew it,” the boy continued, “it was like someone had stolen the dreams I used to have, dreams of what I wanted to be and do in my life.” The boy stopped speaking and scratched his head, tears rolling over his chubby cheeks. “They’re missing. There’s nothing. I can’t think of a single one. I don’t even feel like I want to do anything with my life. I guess it’s like the doctor said, I’ll just grow up to be a robot in society, doing whatever I’m told to do.”

“And so, Daniel,” said the reporter, “do you worry about spreading it to other children? And do any of your friends have it?”

“Yeah, I guess so, but I’m not sure how others would catch it,” said the boy, looking to his father for reassurance, “because the doctors said they aren’t sure how it spreads. And my friends, well, I can’t say for them—”

“Very well,” said the reporter, cutting the boy off in the middle of his answer and returning his attention to the doctor. “And doctor, what can you tell us about the number of existing cases and how quickly this pandemic is spreading?”

“Well,” said the doctor, “the Center for Disease Control and the World Health Organization have both estimated that over two million cases exist worldwide, and there may be as many as 50,000 unknown cases in our country right now.” The doctor redirected his attention away from the reporter and stared into the camera. “It’s spreading like a wildfire and where will it strike next? Nobody knows. All we know is it could be your hometown.” The doctor moved closer, pointed directly into the camera and flashed a mysterious wink, “even your hometown, J.R. Timble.”

**

J.R. jumped off the couch in a state of shock when he heard the doctor announce his name on national television.

**

“Well, there you have it, Central,” said the reporter on the TV, stepping in front of the camera, “an accounting from both the discovering doctor and the latest victim of what’s been dubbed the Pango Syndrome. Central, this is Tom McKay, reporting live from the big city, back to you.”

**

“Mom,” J.R. yelled in a panic, “did you hear that?”

His mother picked up the remote and turned off the TV. She sat in silence for a moment, as if deep in thought and considering what to say, then stood and headed for the kitchen. “I don’t want you to worry about a thing, J.R.,” she said. “Those people are thousands of miles from here so you’re safe.”

“No . . . no . . . I mean, yes, that’s great, but that reporter. Did you hear him?”

“Yes, I heard him, J.R.”

“But did you hear what he said? Did you hear him say my name on national television?”

Mrs. Timble leaned back far enough to peer through the doorway from the kitchen. “J.R.” she said, “Now honestly.”

J.R. flopped himself back onto the couch and stared at the black TV screen. He felt as crazy as the look his mother just gave him, even though he was sure he’d heard the reporter say his name. The fear of losing his dreams filled his thoughts. There are so many things in life I want to be and do. How can you live life without any dreams? What would you do with yourself if you didn’t have dreams? How would you know what you wanted to be or do in life if you didn’t have any dreams? And if you didn’t know any of that, wouldn’t it be like being dead, the living dead? J.R. crossed his arms and sank deeper into the couch and even deeper into thought. I’d stop that pandemic if I really could. I’m not losing any of my dreams or willpower. What did Grandfather mean about making some connection before it’s too late and before the pandemic could spread? And follow the signs? What signs?

“Here you go,” offered his mother upon her return, “maybe this will lift your spirit. It looks like something from your Uncle Travis. Maybe it’s for your birthday. And there’s another one in the kitchen. Remember though, we’re celebrating your birthday on Sunday. But you can have the other package if you’re home on time this evening, as we agreed.” She stopped and looked out the living room window at the majestic stand of Redwood trees in the distance. “I think things are changing for us J.R. I knew moving into grandpa’s house would be good for us. Maybe it’s all a sign,” she said as she returned to the kitchen.

“Maybe it’s all a sign!” J.R. repeated in a whisper, while curiously questioning her statement. “Why does everyone keep saying that?” But for the moment he skipped past that and let his curiosity wonder about what was inside the package.