Chapter 38: Highway to Hell

Start from the beginning

''Isn't it kind of weird how they hold such a big spectacle so early at night? I would expect them to do it at least after midnight. Especially since it's supposed to be a secret.'' I say looking nonchalant outside the window.

Bob doesn't answer me for a second, scratching awkwardly the back of his head before responding smugly. ''Yeah about that. They need the light for the cars to get to the top. Especially the ones who aren't drifting or are familiar with the roads.''

''What do you mean?''

''You will see.'' He says suggestively, making me furrow my eyebrows.

Soon we were outside the big gates getting in line with the other cars, more than sixty waiting along with us.

''What the hell..Rob. It's going to take all night.Where did these people come from?''

''I told you. You only need a contact, then the word gets sprayed faster than rain. They even travel from different cities for this. Most of them won't have the chance to get inside though. It's getting too dark.''

''Yeah neither will we. I told you it was a bad idea.''

''Relax brat. We have someone.''

''That's what you said for them too.''

''It's different to know a friend, who knows a friend, who knows someone, than to actually KNOW the contact.''

Before I have the chance to question him, his phone rings bringing a victory smile on his face. ''Hey we are here.'' He says to whoever it is on the other line.

''Okay. Are you up yet? Alright. We are on the second line.''

The phone call comes to an end and he shuts it off, giving me a side glance. ''We will be there before any of those pricks snorts his first line.''

After that we both fall into silence, until the cars in front of us move forward just for a few meters and I'm left dumbfounded from the view in ahead of me. What in the name of...

Bob sees me looking outside like a kid in front of a sugar factory and he clicks his fingers to get my attention

Bob sees me looking outside like a kid in front of a sugar factory and he clicks his fingers to get my attention. ''I told you it's going to be lit.''

''Are you...Where are all these cars heading? I thought the party would be around here.''

''No, that would be too obvious, the place we are going is deeper inside.''

His words leave me with a nauseous feeling and I can't help but get anxious. ''Hey, I'm here. It will be fine.'' He says, squeezing my hand to relax me.

Soon the line moves enough to let me see the details around the entrance. I can count around six people, probably security since they are muscled enough to crash a head under their biceps. Some of them check the cars, while others get id and information from the people inside them. I watch two of them giving certain bracelets to each and everyone who comes through and I turn to ask Bob about them.