020

february 17th, 2024
12:01 pm

JOSHUA AND LETITIA SAT ON THE COUCH in his apartment, watching an old rerun of ATL

"Yo, if anybody tried to snatch a chain off me like that, we would be fighting. Because how dare you?" Letitia commented before digging her hand into a bag of Chex Muddy Buddies.

"Liars deserve it," Joshua shrugged.

His cell phone rang with a phone call and without checking the screen, he answered, "Hello?"

"Josh, are you busy?" Ayoluwa's grave tone of voice caused Joshua to sit straight up.

"Um, kinda. What's going on?"

"I need to talk to you. It's important."

"Well, I can see later tomorr-."

"No. Today. It can't wait. I'll send my address." Ayoluwa hung up abruptly leaving Joshua to look at the device, confused.

"What happened?" Letitia asked.

"I have to go. Ayo wants to talk to me about something."

Letitia's green eyes became stormy, "Why? I thought y'all broke up."

"We did but I don't know," Joshua slipped some low top Vans on.

"You always run when she calls?" Letitia asked.

Joshua sighed, "I'll make it up to you. I gotta go."

Letitia rolled her eyes but slipped on her Ugg boots before slamming the front door closed in an attempt to show Joshua that she was annoyed.

The taxi ride from the Upper East Side to Brooklyn had lasted at least thirty minutes, maybe a little over.

Joshua checked the the last text that she had sent to confirm he was where he was supposed to be then walked up the steps of porch to a large single family brownstone and rang the doorbell.

Joshua scrunched his eyebrows at the sound of barking and then Ayoluwa answered the door in a sports bra, leggings, her locs tied into a high bun and a pure black German Shepard puppy wiggling in her arms.

"Come in," Ayoluwa said lowly, her tone still grave.

Joshua closed the door behind him then examined the first floor of her home, noting the various plants surrounding the piano, various art pieces of black women on the walls and the earth toned furniture.