002

december 17th, 2023
7:23 pm

"PALMER! PALMER!" Joshua called into the expansive Manhattan penthouse that two shared

He had just returned from a practice and in his hands was a small bouquet of roses and food from her favorite restaurant here in New York.

"Ayo?" Joshua looked around for his girlfriend, his eyes searching the various moving boxes that was cluttering up their place, "Palmer?"

"Over here!" Ayoluwa called from the living room.

When Joshua went inside the cream and black room, he stopped and stared at the scene.

The living room had been turned into a photo shoot.

There were various photographers, makeup artists and stylists who had taken over the kitchen island with their supplies.

Gloria, Ayoluwa's manager, was sitting on the couch and arguing with someone on a cell phone.

Ayoluwa was lounging a little on the black steinway piano placed near the windows of the penthouse, in a shiny gold flapper dress and her locs were loose as the main photographer took pictures.

Joshua closed his eyes and tried to contain his irritation.

He had just gotten finished with a brutal practice and wanted to have a dinner alone with his girlfriend but apparently that was too much to ask.

"Palmer... What...?" Joshua raised an eyebrow.

Ayoluwa said something lowly to the photographer who nodded then passed Joshua a look.

Ayoluwa approached him, her red bottomed heels sinking a little into the carpet, "Hey."

"'Hey'? What is this?" Joshua asked her.

"Vogue. I told you this morning they wanted to do a photoshoot and then the 73 questions thing." Ayoluwa explained.

"No, you didn't. I want these people out of our house."

Ayoluwa furrowed her brows,"I did tell you and I can't just kick them out. I'm supposed to be on the cover next month."

She glanced down at the flowers and the food that he was holding and Joshua sighed, "The food is getting cold."

"Ayo," Gloria called, causing both people to look back and up at her, "We're on a tight schedule. There isn't time for this."

"Okay," Ayoluwa replied then turned back to Joshua, "Just put it in the fridge and I'll get someone to put the flowers in a vase. Can you go in our room for now?"

Joshua huffed slightly, "I'm just gonna go get wine. I forgot that."

"She can't drink!" Gloria interjected once more with a smirk, "The album's on the way. I'm sure you understand."

Joshua put the roses and the plastic bag full of food on the ottoman, "I need some air."

Joshua pulled his hood up around his face in order not to be recognized as he got into the street below his building.

He didn't know where he was going but he knew he had to get away from his place of residence.

Homes were for rest and relaxation, not something to turn into another workspace.

Neon lights reflected along the side of his face, catching Joshua's attention.

It was a hole in the wall bar named Valhalla and inside he could see as many neon lit signs as there were on the outside.

Joshua went inside, sat at the bar and then slapped down his driver's license on top, "I need a whisky neat."

A short glass filled with the brown liquor was sent back.

The burn coursed its way down his esophagus as Joshua slammed down the short glass onto the countertop of the small, slightly run down bar he was sitting at.

It was surprisingly empty for this time of night, with early two thousands music pumping out of a jukebox in the corner and another man sitting at the other end of the bar, a beer in his hand.

"Penny for your thoughts?" A feminine voice sounded.

When Joshua glanced at who had spoken in front of him, he spotted a black girl with type four curly hair and light green eyes standing behind the bar, a midnight colored apron tied around her waist.

Joshua shook his head and tapped his finger on the rim of the glass, "No. Pour me another one," Joshua paused, "Please," He added as an after thought.

The girl nodded and refilled his glass, "You just look like something's bothering you, thought you might wanna talk about it. That's all."

Joshua remained silent as the girl waited.

The girl waited a couple of more seconds then sighed, "My name's Letitia but mostly I go by Tia. What's your name?"

Her New York accent was heavy and was reminiscent of Dior, an old friend.

"Jay." Joshua decided to say.

The girl had yet to see his face and Joshua was determined to keep it that way.

"You from here, Jay?" Letitia asked as she leaned forward a little and rested her elbows on the top of the bar.

Joshua shook his head, keeping his face covered, "California."

For a second he was afraid that he had said too much then shrugged it off.

If she didn't know now, she probably wasn't going to know until Joshua decided to tell her.

"You're a quiet one, huh?" Letitia asked, her green eyes reflecting the red neon lights from outside, "That's fine. I like quiet."

When Joshua didn't answer Letitia patted his back then turned around to reach up for a fresh bottle of Jack Daniels, exposing the bare back of her crop top covered midsection and the waistline of her jeans, "You want another round, Jay?"

Joshua immediately flicked his eyes away from her backside.

He was a taken man, a man with girlfriend who he cared for greatly.

So what exactly am I doing?

NOTE FROM KY
vote & comment, porfa!