Chapter 27 [eyes on the road]

"So, 'yung kapitbahay na officemate mo rin ay kaibigan nung Andrei? At sa kaniya nalaman ni Jin ang heartbreaking—este, breaking news pala." Basti feigned a shocked expression as if what he said was purely just a slip of tongue. "Sorry na," he quickly supplied when his horrible acting received a vacant stare from Ahia.

But we all could tell that he did it on purpose. How annoying.

To his question, I flatly answered, "Yes."

"Bago 'yung punta mo this week, kailan ka ba huling napadalaw sa apartment ni Calli?" Basti asked Ahia.

"A year ago. During Pray's death anniversary, too," he answered.

"I was also there. But during that time, wala pang kapitbahay si Calli. Kailan ba siya lumipat sa apartment building, Calli?" Ysabelle joined Basti in questioning me.

Dear God, I thought we came here for only breakfast. I wasn't informed that catechizing me is part of our agenda.

My disinclination to talk about this couldn't be more overt than it already is. The ghost of wince on the corner of my lips and the reluctant gaze I'm giving them are the easy giveaways to that.

However, my willful indifference is seemingly not enough for them to brush off the curious looks on their faces.

I sighed achingly.

Putting down the cup of coffee, I finally replied, "Around October or November. I don't remember exactly."

"Kaya naman pala. Wala pa nga siya noon," Basti said with a concluding tone while unhurriedly nodding his head. "Liit talaga ng mundo, dude!" he supplied while looking at Ahia.

Ahia only pursed his lips and nodded along.

Basti smoothly transitioned his gaze from Ahia to me. "Nabanggit niya na nakasama mo raw si Andrei sa kotse kasi nakiki-carpool ka roon sa kapitbahay mo." He cocked his head and closed his eyes. "Ano ngang pangalan? Jeng? Ay, hindi. Letter G. Gi . . . Gio?" he unconfidently guessed while stammering.

"Guian," I answered, enunciating his first name properly—according to how it should be enounced.

"Right. Right. Anyway, at least, you met Andrei. Kami kasi hanggang kuwento lang namin siya nakilala. We didn't get the chance to know her in person. Tama, 'no, dude? Hindi mo siya na-introduce sa'min?"

"Buenvinido met her in person."

Basti snapped his fingers excitedly. "Oo nga pala! Kasama mo si Bu noong umakyat kayo ng bundok."

"Yes." Ahia exhaled. His sigh was so sharp that it could almost shame the famed joyeuse. Had Charlemagne been alive, he probably would have considered using Ahia's sighs to behead his enemies.

Ysabelle took a sip of her drink and licked her upper lip before drawing her body near the table. "So, how is the highly esteemed Andrei?" she curiously asked.

I slowly turned my head in her direction and dubiously glared at her.

This place suddenly reeked of hypocrisy. This woman isn't remotely curious about Atom, to begin with. I'd throw all my cards on the table and bet that she only wants to know more about the woman whom Ahia has loved for a very, very long time. Perhaps, she's wondering why to this date Ahia still hasn't moved on from that unrequited love.

Like the speed of light, she was quick to read the cynicism painted all over my gaze. "What?" she innocently mouthed while looking at me.

Oh, I'm not even buying this feigned act she's giving me.