Chapter 20 [whatever this is, it doesn't get easier]

"Don't worry, no offense taken," she said, still chuckling a little.

My brows furrowed. I'm confused why she had to say that. It's not as if what I stated was meant to be taken differently. It's a very straightforward comment based on what I've noticed.

"Uh . . . no disclaimer was given," I refreshed her memory while slowly shaking my head.

I don't even remember the last time I said those two words to someone.

Using no offense before a statement could only mean two things. It's either your intention is only to be honest without being rude or you're actually going to insult someone but you don't want the person to get mad.

But I think that either way, it's just futile. Because people will take your words however they want to, regardless of your true intent. At the end of the day, others will perceive you in a way that fits their preference. Whether it be implied intentional hurting or it merely violated the person's sense of what is proper or fitting.

So, why bother?

I'm not saying that being understood by other people doesn't matter. It does. To a certain degree. In certain circumstances. But not having to defend yourself every time is equally important, too. If you always allow external opinions to govern your choice of words and actions, living this life will become more painful.

"It's fun to watch the two of you," commented the guy who seems to be only a flick away from losing his sanity. He looks very much elated because of what he's seeing.

He sure has to work on his choice of words. Nothing about this situation can be described as fun. What kind of dictionary is he using?

She flashed me an overzealous smile before saying, "You're very candid. I like that." She seemed rather . . . genuine. "Ganito lang talaga ako, Lerisse. Walang pinipiling shift 'yung energy ko. Pero don't worry, hindi naman ako nangangagat ng tao."

"That's right. But even if she does, fear not. Pinabakunahan namin ng anti-rabies 'yan," he confidently said.

She cackled and gasped for air. "OMG, Guian," she panted while holding her chest. "You're mean."

"Weirdoes," I muttered under my breath.

I grimaced, quietly relaxed my back on the seat, and sincerely prayed to God that it will be our last conversation for the entire ride.

"Oh, cool. Nag-McDo kayo? Did you buy breakfast?"

"Not exactly. Just dropped by to get you this." He handed her the cup of iced coffee.

She immediately cooed. "Aww, touched ako. Thank you for this. Appreciate you."

He chuckled. "Baka sabihin ni Japh pinapabayaan kita, eh."

To my surprise, she turned her head to see me again. "How about you, Lerisse? May iced coffee ka rin ba riyan?"

Seeing how eager she is to hear my response made me heave out a deep sigh.

I parted my lips reluctantly.

When I was about to answer her question, my neighbor interjected. "Hindi umiinom ng iced coffee si Lerisse. Kung hindi mainit ang kape, salamat na lang daw sa lahat."

Since when did he become my spokesperson?

But, honestly, given this circumstance, it wouldn't hurt if he answers on my behalf. Because there's no way I could ever keep up with his friend's talkativeness. And God knows I will never try to.

"Oh, interesting. Baligtad tayo. Ako naman ayaw ko ng mainit na kape. I only drink coffee when it's cold."

I don't remember asking, though.