8|| Start over

My eyes felt swollen and heavy from all the crying the previous night when I knocked the door softly. No one answered and I frowed, checking the time my phone. 3:58 pm. It was the time we'd accorded. Two minutes earlier, true, but they must be there, right?

I knocked again, waited and was about to knock once more time, frustrated now, when the door opened just before my fist connected with the wood, stopping inches away from a human chest. My cheeks warmed when I met Connor's annoyed/murderous glare.

"Oh, h-hi. I'm sorry. I was supposed to meet with your sister and she wasn't opening... How are you? I was just-" I took in his baggy jeans, only protected with a dark hoody despites the freezing weather and my eyes fell to he skateboard stuck under his arm. "Are you going to skate? Oh, I didn't know you like to. Where do you usually go?"

To my surprise, he didn't remove his glare but his jaw jumped. "It's hard to find a decent place."

"Oh," the shock of him actually answering got me dazed for a second. Connor usually ignored me or cut me. "You're so right. All them are full of kids or too damaged to use. I skate as well, do you know? Yeah, but I used roller shoes... either way, I usually go to the old church." I had no idea why I was sharing that with him. To be more likeble to him, I guess? He rose one brow lightly and my stomach clenched in nerves. "I-I mean, I know it's in ruins and all but that kinda keep people away and the back is a cement yard with 'obstacles'..."

"Cool."

And went to pass me without another word but something ocurried me and I stopped him before he walked away. "J-just don't tell your friends about it, o-or it'll stop being cool."

The hem of his lips twisted in the darkest and tiniest half smirk I'd ever seen. "What friends?" But didn't gave me a chance to respond and threw the skate to the floor, getting up and rolling away just like that.

"Alyson?" I turned towards the door again and found Norah there, helding it opened with her hip as she eyed me cuiously. I immediately noticed something was off with her. She was smiling and all but something in her eyes was tained with sadness. Just like her brother a minute ago she rose one brow. "Was he an idiot?"

"What? No." I was quick to recover from the baffledment and shook my head. "He was... surprisingly not mean?"

Norah let out a short chuckle, wrapping her dressing gown tighter around her frame and stepping aside so I could get in. "Yeah, he get less bitter from time to time." once inside I heard fain agitated voices talking fast. Their parents. Arguing. Like they'd been doing dayly for too long according to Norah. She didn't comment on it while closing the door and it was evident in her face she didn't want me to either. So I didn't and instead followed her up her room, as usual the bright pink walls were pretty distracting. I flopped down on the ottoman as she let herself melt on the mattress that bounced under her weight and rested on her elbows to look at me. "So?"