"Also, you have to hand us your phone, we don't want you talking to that irresponsible detective, we'll let you keep your laptop because of school work. Your mum and I will be checking it frequently" her father added, also impassively. 

 "You can't do that, I make one mistake and you don't even trust me anymore!" she exclaimed, shooting her hands up in the air in frustration.

"Cassie it's not the amount of mistakes that matter, it's the gravity" her mother replied sternly. "You have to pay for your actions."

"This is not fair," she yelled. A great deal of anger welled up in her. She always got good grades, always did her chores, she was loved by all her teachers, she never gave her parents trouble, but her one mistake made them forget about all the things she had done right in life.

"What do you mean this is not fair? Don't you know that you have destroyed not only Caleb's image but mine too?" her father asked, pointing to his chest. "I am the most prestigious lawyer in the whole of Freetown, do you know what people will say about me behind my back and even to my face? " He asked "They would say I'm the murderers father, "he yelled. "The murderers father," he laughed bitterly. "So next time you want to be the hero and play detective, think first" he said tapping his head lightly "think of the consequences. Think!" he yelled.

Cassie stood unmoved, crying once more. She already felt bad enough for her actions, having people yell at her was adding salt to her injury. The worst part was that she hadn't even intended on turning Caleb in. She was only going to confront him, to talk to him, she didn't mean for things to get too far. "I'll give you my phone tomorrow, it's in my bag in my car, which is at the station," she said softly, before slowly carrying her feet up the stairs.

She paused when she heard shouts coming from the kitchen.

"This is your fault Victoria," she heard her father say belligerently . 'You're never here, you never watch over your kids, no wonder they're acting this way.'

'Oh no, Fred. I won't et you pin this on me' she heard her mother yell back in an irritated tone. 'You're never around either, I trained our kids as well as I could'

'And look how that turned out' he said.

'And why is it my fault?, you're never around either. Who says it is solemnly a mother's job to train the kids? You have your part too' she said angrily.

'Well I have a time consuming job, and it is that time consuming job that pays for this big house we're living in" he said. 'it is that time consuming job that pays for the diamonds around your neck' He paused for about a minute before saying 'it's times like this that I regret not going through with the divorce,' he spat our bitterly.

After hearing that last part Cassie broke down completely. She ran up to her room, locked the door and leaned on the wall as she slowly slid down to the floor. She couldn't believe that she could be the cause of her parents getting a divorce. She didn't even know that they had considered getting one before, they always seemed so happy and perfectly in love.

She hated Peter so much for exposing Caleb and destroying her family. She ran to Caleb's room to look for the bag he carried in the day he arrived. She opened it up and luckily still saw her gift inside, she flinched at the sight of the rose still in the bag but decided to ignore it. She unwrapped the gift aggressively, not sparing the beautiful wrapping paper. Beneath the wrapping paper was a beautiful red box embellished with crystals.

She took off the cover and was stunned by what lay inside. The first thing she noticed was a cute white mug decorated with pink hearts all over that said 'best fu**ing sister' in black cursive ink. There was also a grey T-shirt that had the words 'world's ugliest sister' printed on it in black ink. She laughed at the sight of that. There was a box of Godiva, her favourite chocolate. And lastly, there was a small box that contained a beautiful heart shaped necklace that had the word 'sister' engraved on it. She traced the word sister with her right index finger and held the necklace very close to her heart. A tear stung her eyes as they rolled out slowly. She felt like such a terrible person. She neatly placed all the gifts back in the box, before placing the lid over it.