"So, Mr Bridgerton" she smiled in the hopes to divert the subject away from his brother.

"Please Miss Priestly, I would like to think we can be friends. Call me Collin"

"Very well Collin" She teased. "But you must call me Lizzie for that is what my friends call me"

"How are enjoying the Ton, Lizzie?" he playfully asked.

"I have enjoyed the new people and the balls, but I rather miss my family's estate. Roth House has the best gardens and I do find myself missing the country air" She sighed reminiscing about her childhood home. "I suppose if I was not required to be here to find a husband, I would have never left for London and helped my brother and sister."

Roth House. She always laughed at the humbling decision to label her families estate a house, It always seemed a bizarre word to describe a house with surely fifty rooms, but its fanciful turrets and crenelations almost made it seem like something out of a fairy story, especially with late afternoons where the sun would give the yellow stone a reddish glow.

"You're a lot like Anthony, did you know that?" he smiled thoughtfully.

Elizabeth gasped. "Surely you jest"

He shook his head, a strange little smile on his face. "Perhaps it is that you both are fierce in defending the ones you care for. I have seen the way you are with The Duke and Lady Danbury; you may not be the eldest like him but act in a manner that I believe would make a person forget you are the youngest. Lord knows I'm thankful every day I was not born in Anthony's shoes"

"what do you mean?"

Colin sighed. "I simply wouldn't want his responsibilities, that is all. The title, the family, the fortune - it's a great deal to fit on one man's shoulders"

Elizabeth didn't particularly want to hear how well the viscount had assumed responsibilities of this title. she did not want to hear anything that might change her opinion of him, although she had confessed that she realises this could most certainly weigh on a man and his attitude.

"What has this to do with Roth House?" She inquired.

Colin stared at her blankly for a moment, as if he'd forgotten that the conversation had started with his enquiry about her time in London.

"Nothing I suppose" he finally said. "And everything as he has the same opinion about the country"

"But he spends all his time in London" Elizabeth said remembering her aunt mentioned as much. "Doesn't he?"

"I know" Colin shrugged. "Odd, isn't it?"

The sound of the music soon faded into silence as the pair finished their dance. "I am to get myself a refreshment, would like one?" he asked.

She nodded as he disappeared into the crowd leaving her to stand at the fringes of the ballroom to wait for his return. And after some time he did not return, and she concluded that he had been distracted. The heat of the room filled up, she felt herself needing some air so ventured to the open doors that lead onto the terrace that overlooked Lady Trowbridge's garden.

With fan in hand, she pondered why Colin had provided such personal opinions of his brother. And before she could respond a cough behind her pulled her from this thought.

"Miss Priestly"

Elizabeth turned around to be faced with Lord Berbrooke who was currently sporting a purple bruise under his left eye. Nervously she looked around to make sure they were not alone on the Terrance, Simon had warned her to steer clear of the man. His reasoning he could not say but that Lord Berbrooke was no gentleman in the eyes of Simon and that was good enough reason to have caution.