THIRTY-ONE

Jessica walked into The Spectator. It was her first time being in the building. However, she quickly found Nate's office because it was the only one with a light on.

Jessica knocked on the door. A faint 'come in' was enough for her to open the door to see a very stressed out Nate. 

"Hey." Jessica smiled at the boy. 

"Jess? What are you doing here?" Nate asked the girl. He did not need this right now. He thought maybe if he stopped relying to her, she'll take the hint and leave him alone, then that'll save both of them a heart break.

"Blair let me go. Her pop up was a success. She told me to be here with you." Jessica smiled, but frowned when she saw Nate's reaction. Was he not happy to see her? "Is everything ok?"

"Yeah why wouldn't it be?"

"I don't know. You just don't seem happy to see me that's all." 

"Maybe I'm not." Nate said, immediately regretting it after he saw the hurt in the girl's eyes. 

"What?" Jessica asked, surprised to even hear this. Maybe she heard him wrong. 

"Look Jess. What we had, it was beautiful. It was fun while it lasted. But it's time I put The Spectator first. You were a distraction to me." 

"Are you being serious right now?" Jessica asked, only to see the boy nod, not even bother looking at her, but instead at the pile of files on his desk. "Look at me when I'm speaking." Jessica demanded. It took a few seconds for Nate to sigh and look at her. She could tell in his eyes he didn't want this to happen making the girl wonder why he was suddenly saying these things. "Look me in the eye and say I was a distraction."

Nate couldn't say it. Looking at the girl he loved right now, made it very easy for him to confess to her why he had to do what he needed to do. But he knew it was for the best. "You were a distraction."

"Why are you doing this? What happened today? What are you not telling me?" Jessica asked, not getting any answers from the boy which frustrated her. "Answer me." 

Nate sighed, shaking his head. "I need to focus on my career right now and need to eliminate any distractions right now. If I want to be on the top, I need to put my heart and soul to this. And I can't be with someone who models naked for a living. It's not good for my reputation." 

"Bullshit."

"It was just about the sex for me and now I'm bored of you." Nate said, immediately regretting it. He didn't mean it. He loved being with the girl. The sex was just an added plus. But he needed to do this to keep her safe. 

"What are you talking about? I know you. I know you better than anyone else and this isn't you. I lo-."

"Jess please." Nate cut the girl off. He didn't want her to finish that sentence because if she did, he can't follow through with it. "Don't finish that sentence."

"Why not?" Jessica asked. "If this is about you and your past failed relationships, then you should know I'm not like all those girls. If you're trying to play hero right now, then stop. You promised me you would never hurt me. You promised me you would hurt whoever hurt me. You're hurting me right now Nate. So please just tell me what's going on so I can help you." 

Nate shook his head. "I know it's hard to believe Jess, but not everyone likes you. And that includes me." 

That stung. Jessica never thought in a million years Nate would say that to her. 

"Why are you doing this? I love you. You're my everything." Jessica told the boy, begging him to tell her what was happening so she can help him get through. 

"Really? Because you mean nothing to me." Nate tried saying with an emotionless face. He didn't mean it. But he had to do what he had to do. 

Jessica tried really hard to keep her tears in, but his words hurt. "Ok. I'm sorry if I wasted your time then." Jessica said, looking at the boy one more time who was looking down this entire argument and left the building. 

Never in all her possible outcomes did she expect this to happen. 

✄-----------------------------

I'm sorry 😔