TWENTY

"Serena why did you suddenly invite me to get our nails done?" Jessica asked her friend, telling the nail artist which color she wanted. 

"Steven is proposing to me." Serena yelled.

"I beg your pardon?"

"Steven is proposing to me." Serena repeated.

"I heard you the first time."

"Isn't this exciting?" Serena smiled. 

"Uh. Did you find something on his phone? That would explain your sudden mood change. I thought we hated the guy?"

"You hate the guy. I love him." 

"Ok?" Jessica said, still not following. 

Serena groaned. "You could be so slow sometimes J. But long story short, I was going through his briefcase to find his phone, instead I found a ring. An engagement ring. And I'm the only girl he's seeing."

"Right?"

"Please be happy for me. Please."

Jessica sighed. "Ok. But if anything happens, I will come for him."

"That isn't going to happen because." Serena said but looked at her phone, upset at what she's seeing.

"What is it S?" Serena hands the girl her phone. "Spotted, one man leaving Harry Winston empty-handed. Steven Spence walked in with a ring and left without one. I wonder what or who he's returning. Wow Nate wasn't joking. Gossip Girl is brutal."

"You're telling me."

"Just talk to him S. I'm sure there's just a big misunderstanding about all this."

"I know."

"So hurry up and get back together. I really want to be a bridesmaid."

"I thought you didn't like Steven?"

Jessica shrugged. "If he makes my best friend happy, then I'm all for it."

"Thanks J."

"You're welcome S."

"So how are you and Nate?" Serena asked the girl.

Jessica shrugged. "Good I guess? I don't know. He wants me to go to cotillion tonight so I can meet Sage. He really thinks she's the one."

"He says that about every girl he's with." 

Jessica chuckled. "You're telling me. I don't know maybe it won't be too bad right?"

Serena sighed at why Nate is still with Sage when he told her he wanted to be with Jessica. "Hopefully not. Does he know how you feel about him?"

Jessica shook her head. "No."

"What's stopping you J?"

"For starters he has a girlfriend. Your soon to be step-daughter." 

"We all know once you tell him how you feel, he'll drop her like that." Serena snapped her fingers. "But please hurry it up. I also want to be a bridesmaid."

Jessica chuckled. "Who said anything about me getting married first?"

Serena shrugged. "You never know."

Jessica didn't know what was stopping her from telling Nate how she felt. Well, maybe the girlfriend part. But other than that, she feared rejection. She didn't want to lose the friendship her and Nate have just because she likes the guy. Like Jessica said, she thinks every possible outcome that could happen. Like what if Nate doesn't feel the same and never wants to talk to her again. 

But little did the girl know, the boy felt exactly the same as she did. Welcome to the tragic Nessica story. Where both parties are too scared to tell one another how they feel. 

Who knows. It is the 7th year of this back and forth. Maybe it's their year.