28 | pretty lies

Things between Soler and I remained tense the following day, as we left Madrid and returned to our base in London.

The entire flight, we didn't talk, and even Miranda noticed our lack of communication. She tried to ask me what was wrong, but hell, I didn't have an answer to that question myself.

So I just told her we needed some space from each other for a while, and it was best if we didn't talk. She accepted my response and didn't probe further, something I was really grateful for.

Sometimes, I felt as if Miranda was the elder sister I never had. Growing up, I didn't have any siblings or close cousins. I remembered my parents- my American mother and German father, but nobody else. They hadn't really had any immediate family I could grow up with, and so even in my childhood, I'd often felt a bit lonely.

After that, of course, my parents died, and I was put in foster care, and the rest is history.

But I'd never really felt the warmth or protectiveness of an older sibling, until now. Miranda was caring, yet she had this no nonsense attitude I admired. She could keep her cool when Soler and I were fighting, and she could also offer me support when I needed it.

Back at TIA, I hadn't had a friend or sister figure like this. Ever. So I was, in a way, incredibly grateful to Miranda for filling that void in such a short time, and I also sometimes felt really guilty for putting her through so much trouble during my fights with Soler.

But it's not like I was the only one to blame. It takes two to tango, people.

Anyway, Miranda and I kept up our conversation and discussion about the case. She also spoke about it separately with Soler, but he and I didn't exchange a word.

I felt really weird about what happened yesterday, and wasn't ready to bring it up anytime soon, and it looked like neither was he.

When we finally returned to our London safe house, Agent Gupta greeted us with a nod and a smile and proceeded to kiss Miranda on the cheek. The couple wasn't big on PDA, but the small gesture made my heart warm.

We went up to our respective rooms and freshened up. After having lunch with Gupta and Turner, I decided to continue with my work on the case.

It was time to inspect the footage from all the hidden cameras and recorders in our jewelery and Soler's watch.

I collected Miranda's jewelery from her and then walked up to Soler. I hesitated a bit, deliberating on whether I should approach him at all.

But after a few seconds, I decided to ask him. Otherwise it would just be unprofessional of me. I mean, letting a personal argument get in the way of the case? No, not my cup of tea, thanks.

I knocked on his door. "Come in!" I heard him say.

I opened the door to find him sprawled on the bed, shirtless, wearing only a pair of joggers and scrolling through his personal phone.

I cleared my throat to get his attention. On seeing me, his eyes widened and he sat up in a flash.

"What are you doing here?"

I focused on the bedside table. Anywhere but him. "I came to ask you for the watch you wore to the gala. I'm going to check out the footage and recordings on all our devices right now."

"Oh," he said quietly. After shuffling for a while, he walked up to me and gave me the watch. "Here. Tell me if you find anything."

I nodded, not being able to say anything else to break the awkwardness.

After exiting his room, I went back to mine and quickly switched into work mode. Taking out the chips from the hairclips, watch and earrings, I put them into different card holders.

I inserted the first one into my laptop. It was footage from the camera in Miranda's earring. The picture quality was good, but half the shots were covered by strands of her hair coming in the way. I couldn't make out anything properly.

Next, I checked out the watch. The audio recordings were all a mix of various voices in the background and weren't of much help. I'd have to check them out later, once more, but on first listen, I couldn't make out anything.

Lastly, I turned to my diamond and camera-encrusted hairclips, as my last ray of hope. Putting the holder in, I waited for the footage to load.

This time, the video was clear. Nothing was blocking the images, the picture quality was good, and I could make out everyone's faces pretty well.

I peered into the screen to take a closer look at all the guests and what they were doing. Some were dancing, many were drinking by the bar, some were chatting with each other...

Suddenly, I spotted a man standing at a corner, with a woman beside him, possibly his date.

The man didn't look noteworthy at first glance; I probably wouldn't have even looked at him twice, if it hadn't been for the woman standing next to him.

The woman with mousy brown hair tied in a bun, a mole below her right eye. She was wearing a pretty salmon dress, lips stretching in a smile.

Her face was made up, and she looked almost unrecognisable, but I could clearly see who she was. Since I'd already met her before.

Isabella Hill.

Suddenly, Miguel Rubio's words came back to me. Las mujeres en nuestras vidas estan muy importante, no?

a/n: who saw that coming and who didn't? be honest lmao