Chapter 17.

[Ava]

After eating breakfast, I returned to my bedroom and fumbled through my closet looking for my bubblegum pink swim suit.

After digging for what seemed like forever, I found it in the very back of the closet. I held it up to me and stared uncomfortably at its pink, stretchy material as I remembered the last pool party I had gone to.

It had been a fifth grade pool party and I had a mint green bikini. All the kids had made fun of me because I didn't know how to swim and it had traumatized me.

This will be different, I told myself. This wasn't school. This was Harry's friends and everyone was an adult, but I still felt scared because I don't know them and I can't swim.

"It's time to go, Ava!" Harry announced from downstairs. From the sound of his voice, I could tell he was standing at the front door. "Are you ready, darling?!"

I inhaled a shaky breath. "I-I just have to put on my swimming suit!" I called back from within my bedroom, squeezing the bubblegum pink material in my hands.

"Okay, you can meet us outside!" he replied. I heard the squeak from the front door opening and Emily was jumping up and down clapping her little hands.

I wish I was just as excited as she was.

Not wanting to keep them waiting, I changed into the swimwear quickly and threw on a pair of pink thong sandals. Then, I threw on my normal clothes, which was a simple purple tee shirt and a pair of jean shorts.

Once outside, Harry was in the driver's seat with the Rover running and Emily was sitting behind him in her child seat. Her blonde curls were tied back in tiny pigtails and she was wearing a purple one-piece with lilac floaty devices on her arms.

I opened the passenger's side door and climbed in.

Harry pushed up his sunglasses and looked at me. "Did you put on sunscreen?"

"Um...No," I squeaked.

Was I supposed to own sunscreen? I never stayed outdoors long enough to burn. I hardly ever went outdoors actually.

I was expecting a lecture like how Mom would do, but he sat his sunglasses back down over his eyes and pulled out of the driveway.

"You can borrow mine when we get there." Harry added, driving down the main road.

"That's okay. I don't need any," I said, quietly. Certainly, now he would go off on me.

I really don't think I need any. I've never had a problem with the sun.

We came to a four-way stop sign, which gave him some time to give me a stern look. "Yes, you do. When we get there, I'm going to make sure you put some on."

I sighed and rolled my eyes. "Don't treat me like a kid."

It was our turn to go at the stop sign and Harry turned right onto a long, country road. "Then don't act like one," he stated, focusing on the road ahead of us. "Emily didn't argue with me about it."

I inhaled a large breath, anger boiling within me. He's still treating me like a kid. "Don't compare me to her either."

His voice deepened. "Drop the attitude, Ava. I'm not trying to compare anyone. I'm simply stating that you should behave. I know what's best for you." He turned left and then pulled into a long driveway. "I'm just looking out for you, angel," he added in a softer tone.

Tears pricked my eyes. "I-I just don't want to be treated like a kid."

Harry turned off the Rover and looked at me. "Okay, I won't." He reached into the backseat to retrieve a small bottle and put it in my hands. "Just please put some of this on."