𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟕: 𝐥𝐞𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐠𝐚𝐦𝐞𝐬 𝐛𝐞𝐠𝐢𝐧

Comenzar desde el principio

Does he feel sorry for me or something? I must look horrible right now. Or maybe those biceps are deceiving, he might not be super strong to throw me around...

"Get in the van, we have a long car ride before us, especially if we want to make it on time," she heard one guy yell outside.

"Where are we going?" Jacob ducked once the guard pushed him in.

"You'll see."

Jorge got shoved in as well. The guards returned back into the building when Carmen let Julia go. She stood there, unable to think for a moment.

"Here," he started to pull something out of his jacket.

Julia just stared at him. A gun? A knife? What on earth was happening? Was this part of the plan?

"Once the guard drops you off at whatever church you'll have approximately ten minutes to run to the nearest convenience store and buy food or Advil or whatever you need. I wouldn't dare to run anywhere else or to try to call anyone, these guys are too dangerous. Don't pull anything and don't get a taxi. I know it's not much, but it'll help you."

"What is this?"

"Money... but hide it."

"Where did you get this?"

"Doesn't matter, just remember what I said."

"Why are you giving this to me?"

"Do you want to not die or no?"

"I- well, yes, but, I mean..."

Carmen gently took her arm and placed the few bills of cash in her palm.

"Take it. And share it with your friends."

Julia looked into his eyes, but he quickly let go of her arm and stepped back.

"Now get in."

Instead of pulling her in, he simply helped her up.

"10 minutes," he repeated.

Julia nodded. "Thank you," she said, and she meant it.

He glanced once more at her before letting out some sort of sigh. He closed the side door. 

Julia shifted in her seat, sliding the few bills into the pocket in her jeans. Too many questions went flowing through her head just then.

Was it some sort of joke or prank? She didn't check to see if it was real money he had given her. What if there was some sort of tracking device printed on it just like she heard them yelling about in the other room? What if this was all to really get her dead for good.

But those eyes... They were too honest. 

Maybe he was more than what she gave him credit for.

The blonde-headed boy looked intimidating, that was for sure. And working with a gang? That seemed to set the tone of "don't mess with the badboy."

But now she found herself second-guessing her poor judgement.

Maybe he's in here for the same reason as I am. Maybe he's stuck... and he can't get out...

"Julia, you okay?" She heard Jacob calling from the back.

"Oh, uh, yeah... never been better," she lied, plastering a fake smile on her face.

~~~

Carmen Yates

"Did you do it?"

Carmen didn't say anything, he just glanced at the guy still tied to the chair.

"Aww yeah, you did it, didn't you," his voice bounced off of the walls.

"Will you shut up before I break your other arm?"

"Alright, alright, but tell me it didn't feel good," Blake said.

Carmen shook his head. 

"Oh come on- you can't be for real."

He looked at the guy, his eyes immediately drawing to the cast and bandages.

Carmen sighed. "I just hope she remembers what I said"

He could see Blake start to smile. "I think your heart just grew three sizes today."

"Okay, enough, shut up or I'll break all of your bones."

Carmen looked at poor Blake. The guy turned his head away and kept his laughter to himself. Carmen cracked a grin before exiting the room. He made his way down the dark hall into another room.

"You wanted to see me?"

"That Blake guy still hurting?" Warner called, taking a drink of whatever was in his glass.

"Yes, sir, he's in the worst pain of his life," Carmen tried to keep a straight face.

"Good, good, let's make sure it stays that way until we need him to be useful."

"Yes, sir."

Warner then put down his glass and left the room with a hard pat on Carmen's shoulder.
The boy stood there...
In Warner's office...
All alone.

And smiled.

Now to commence Plan B.

A/N

maybe Carmen's heart did grow three sizes...

or maybe it was all part of the plan...

let the games begin, my friends 

(even though we're 17 chapters in already lol)