Chapter 60 [~|~] Joining the Team

Beginne am Anfang

"Don't answer to Twinkle Toes, it's not manly!" Sokka reprimanded as Azara helped Katara out of the bush.

"You're the one whose bag matches his belt," Katara huffed as she stood up and plucked the twigs out of her hair.

"How did you find me?" The Blind Bandit demanded, glaring forward.

"Well, a crazy king told me I had to find an earthbender who listens to the earth. And then I had a vision in a magic swamp, and—" Seeing that Toph was quickly losing interest in Aang, Azara stepped in.

"—What Aang is trying to say is, he's the Avatar. And if he doesn't master earthbending soon, he won't be able to defeat the Fire Lord," Azara clarified, but Toph was not persuaded and held up a hand.

"Not my problem. Now, get out of here, or I'll call the guards," she threatened before turning around and walking back towards the house.

"Look, we all have to do our part to win this war, and yours is to teach Aang earthbending," Sokka added as Toph paused for a moment before turning back around.

"Guards! Guards help!" she called out, causing the group to immediately panic. Scrambling out of the courtyard, Azara, Katara, and Sokka hid in some foliage as the guards moved to check on Toph. Aang, who had jumped back over the wall, watched Toph's interactions with the guards un frustration. However, he soon began to smirk, an idea coming to his mind.

As the guards walked off, Azara, Katara, and Sokka walked out from behind the bush and Aang jumped down to them silently. "Follow my lead, I've got an idea," Aang smiled, before grabbing Katara and jumping back over the wall with her in his arms.

"Well, can I have this dance?" Azara joked, holding out a hand to Sokka. He smiled and nodded as Azara slid her arm around his chest before lifting off with some rocket propulsion. They stumbled into a landing outside the wall, holding onto each other as they regained their footing. "Well, guess I should practice my rocket propulsion with another person with me," Azara chuckled, straightening up.

"I should be free," Sokka winked, causing Azara to blush, their arms still interlocked.

"Focus on the mission," Katara teased, shaking her head playfully as Azara's blush deepened and Sokka rubbed the back of his neck.

Aang led the way over to the entrance of the Beifong residence, knocking loudly on the grand wooden door. After a few moments, a guard peeked his head out of the door.

"Who is it?" he demanded, stepping out of the doorway.

"The Avatar," Aang stated confidently with a wide smile. "I would like an audience with the Beifongs, please."

"The Avatar?" the guard gasped, before turning and calling for a servant. Turning back to the group, the guard looked more nervous. "Just one moment, please." The guard disappeared back into the compound as Aang turned back to the group.

"About time we took advantage of your status," Azara chuckled, staring up at the grand doors, which were quickly thrown open.

"Right this way, Avatar and esteemed guests," a servant smiled, pointing towards the residence in the distance. They were quickly escorted into the dining room, where Toph, her parents, and Master Yu were already seated and waiting for their meals. Azara sat quietly in between Katara and Sokka as the food was served.

A servant placed a bowl of soup in front of Toph, but her father quickly stopped him before he could walk off. "Blow on it, it's too hot for her," Lao ordered, glancing worriedly at Toph.