Chapter 41: Time to Gloat

Start from the beginning

Seeing the big grin on Dr. Gao's face, she cringed. Now, that's a first...

The person Dr. Gao was talking to, noticed her and waved. "Yo!" He walked over to her.

"Do you know this student, Dr. Wu?" Dr. Gao asked with a disbelief look as he followed Ren.

"Yeah, I came for her."

Kiko slapped her forehead as soon as she realized that she still had Ren Wu's ID card.

"Crap! I'm sorry! I'm really sorry!" she exclaimed. "I went back on Sunday morning to return it, but you weren't there. And after that, I totally forgot about it." She jiggled her foot. "It's in my car! But I have a morning briefing in a few minutes, can I return it to you la—"

"Insolent!" Dr. Gao, who had been listening in, scolded her. "Don't you know how busy Dr. Wu is? It must be a very important item for him to personally come and fetch it! How could you tell him that you'd return it later? Go and take it, Student Kano! Being late to the morning briefing is a consequence of your own thoughtlessness!"

Kiko frowned. She'd now given the ill-tempered resident another excuse to make her day miserable. She was certain he'd use her lateness to the morning briefing as an opportunity to lash at her.

But she couldn't retort. As much as she hated to admit it, she knew Dr. Gao was right. It was, indeed, discourteous of her to delay returning Dr. Wu's government-issued identity card after he'd come all the way there to fetch it. After all, she was the one that snatched it from him and promised to give it back, only to forget about it.

"I know..." she said, "I'm sorry, Dr. Wu. Please wait here, I'll go and get it."

Dr. Gao turned to Ren to say, "I apologize, Dr. Wu. This student has always been a problematic one, so—"

"Wait, wait," Ren called out to Kiko, who was already running toward the elevator. "Come back." He beckoned her over.

Kiko puzzled but still did as told. She walked back and asked, "What is it?"

"When does your shift end?"

"At five..."

"Hm, alright!" He nodded. "Then come to my hospital later. I'll be there until seven."

Kiko raised an eyebrow. "Are you sure?"

"Yes!" he said with a boyish grin. "Don't be late for your morning briefing."

He held up a hand in a see you later gesture as he walked past her toward the elevator.

Dr. Gao quickly followed him. "Dr. Wu! What about the proposal I made to you earlier?"

"Just mail it to me. I'll take a look at it when I have time," Ren said in a nonchalant tone as he pressed the elevator button. The elevator door opened almost immediately. Ren went inside to join the other lift passengers without waiting for Dr. Gao's reply. Dr. Gao could only see his handsome smile as the elevator door closed.

He then turned around to give Kiko a scrutinizing look, to which Kiko only responded with a slight nod before she headed in the opposite direction, where the meeting room was. It wasn't long before she heard Dr. Gao's voice from behind her. "Do you know Dr. Wu?"

Kiko almost rolled her eyes. What a stupid question. Would the guy come here for her if they hadn't known each other?

"Yes," she answered without slowing down.

"How?"

"Does it matter?"

"Excuse me, student. Your senior is asking you a question here. Shouldn't you give a proper answer?" Dr. Gao chastised.