Chapter 24: Lift off

Start from the beginning

Mathias set the radio down and looked at the officer, "get to the Galaxy Garrison and prepare all of Earth's defenses! Contact the ArchAngel and tell Commander Remnov that he is to mobilize the defense fleet!"

"S-SIR! I must point out we only have 7 ships! Earth isn't ready for-!"

"I know..." Mathias cut off the officer as he looked down, "but right now, the Altas, Voltron... our family... needs our help, and as the Admiral, that is exactly what I plan to do! Now go!" The officer slowly nodded before running out of the office. Mathias made his way out of the office and down several halls, passing by scrambling pilots before he got to the bridge. The bridge crew that manned their stations turned to the young admiral entering the bridge.

"Are all the fighters in the hangars?" He asked as he went to a console and began pressing several buttons.

"Yes, sir, they're in. Sir, if I may ask, what are we doing?" One of the bridge officers asked, scratching her head.

"We're launching the Macross," he simply responds, continuing to press buttons as the room explodes with gasps and murmurs. Many of the crew were confused by this remark and tried to ask him what's going on, but he ignored their remarks. He then pressed a button and began to speak.

Around the world on various screens, Mathias' face took over, making everyone look up to the announcement he was about to give.

"Citizens of Earth. Today, I am here to bring news that you must hear. I have to come clean and say that we have lost all contact with the Atlas and Voltron in the past three months. Two months ago, we sent the Nightingale, a supply vessel, to assist in their endeavour, but all contact with it was lost as well. That was... until just moments ago, when this transmission came to my desk." Mathias played the video from earlier with the distress captain on the screen.

"-day! MAYDAY! WE'RE UNDER ATTACK BY HONERVA'S FORCES! THE ATLAS IS TAKING FIRE AND IS BADLY DAMAGED, WE CA-!" The video ended with the massive explosion that took out the bridge instantly. People who watched the screens began to scream, cry, or were so shocked, they could process what they saw before them. The screen then returned to Mathias with a solemn expression.

"That is why I came to you all today, to bring you this message... but to also tell you not to give up hope. Captain Shirogane wanted me to do what's best for the world, and I think it's about time we help out our allies in space. Which is why I will be taking the Macross and it's forces, and going out there to find and assist our friends and family in space and stop this threat once and for all. I know I am leaving Earth in perfectly good hands... and I promise you all this: we will find and bring back everyone to safety... or we will go and defend the universe to our very last breaths." Mathias closed the announcement and sat in the captain's chair, "TAKE HER UP!"

The ground began to shake and rumble as dust kicked up in the air around the Macross. Slowly rising from its watery bed, waves violently rose as the ship slowly began to surface from the water and into the skies.

As the Macross slowly began to escape Earth's atmosphere, Mathias leaned back in the captain's chair and pressed his hands together

As the Macross slowly began to escape Earth's atmosphere, Mathias leaned back in the captain's chair and pressed his hands together. 'Hang on guys, I'm on my way.'

The Macross soon breached the atmosphere and into the coldness of space, the endless stars being the first to greet them.

"Ensign, plot a course to sector 812, Mark 48-"

"ADMIRAL! NUMEROUS OBJECTS DETECTED EXITING HYPERSPACE!" An officer cried out in alarm and distress. Mathias perked up in distress and looked up ahead of him. Many Galra battleships soon appeared around the surface of the Earth. A scowl formed on his face.

"SIR! I COUNT AROUND 25 GALRAN SHIPS AROUND US!" An officer shouted, her voice straining as she screamed.

"Are they charging weapons?!" Mathias shouted as he stood up and stared down the cruisers.

"Can't tell, sir!"

"Damnit... LOWER THE MAIN GUN AND PREPARE TO FIRE ON THE NEAREST CLUSTER OF SHIPS, THEN LAUNCH ALL FIGHTERS! GET THE DEFENSE FLEET IN THE AIR IMMEDIATELY!" Mathias screamed as alarms began to blair and orders began going out throughout the ship.

The Macross' guns began to lower on the approaching ships, orange beams beginning to bolt across the gun.

"Main gun at 30%... 40%... 50%... 60%"

However, Mathias tuned out the voices around him when he noticed something odd, 'why aren't they fighting back..? What's going on here?'

That's when another ship appeared from a massive blue wormhole. A battered and damaged Atlas jumped right in front of the Macross and its main gun. Mathias' eyes widened at the potential horror approaching, when a call from the Atlas came through. A slightly tired. But still fearful Shiro, appeared on the comms.

"Mathias, shut off the gun! The Galran Cruisers are from the Coalition!" Shiro shouted.

Mathias' gaze swung at the officers, "SHUT DOWN THE MAIN GUN, NOW!"

An officer tried to deactivate the lever charging the gun, but it wouldn't budge. She desperately tried again, but nothing happened. She freaked out and looked back, "I CAN'T! IT'S FIRING!"

"MACROSS TO ATLAS, BRACE FOR IMPACT!"

A massive wall of orange energy lashed out and struck the Atlas' hull, causing a massive explosion on the lower hull of the hulking vessel. A massive wound was casted on the lower hull of the ship. Mathias freaked out as miniature explosions occurred on the inner hulls.

"ALTAS?! ATLAS, DO YOU READ?!" Mathia shouted in fear, adrenaline running through his veins.

A cough came through the comms, "Y-Yeah... we're good... sorry about scaring you, but this is a mental note not to doubt that gun's abilities."

Mathias sighed, "sorry about that..." he then let out a weak smile, "welcome home, Atlas."

"Good to be back..." Shiro sighed, "the battles are over... Honerva and her plots are over, however... Allura... is gone." Mathias' eyes widened for a moment before slowly nodding.

"I see..." he looked back up to the older Atlas Captain, "we'll build a memorial of her to honor her sacrifice... but for now... let's go home." Mathias looked back to the officers, "cancel all launch orders and tell the defense fleet to stand down. The war is over."

'One less conflict to deal with...'

In the time following the final battle for the multiverse, Earth began to progress in its development and role. Pidge and Mathias, now being called Max, began to lead the next generation of Voltron Defenders for the universe. Max began building up Earth's forces and prepared to build ships to colonize the stars beyond. Hunk made a collunary cooking empire that could rival the Galra. Shiro had become a diplomat for the Voltron Coalition. Keith and the Blades began to transform into a relief organization, while Lance retired to his home to live his life at his home. Coran began to build up the new Altea, which Max saw as a competitive rival to strive to beat and learn from, in a friendly way, of course.

For Pidge and Mathias, however, they began to forge more of a relationship, and soon found themselves under one name, one family... the Holts.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is not technically the end of the book, there is still some bonus content coming! However, the official story has now come to a close!

Sorry if it's forced in terms of the ending, but I am not in a good position to remake it atm, my life has taken an interesting turn.

The next chapter will show the future of the series and specials that may come out! The next and possibly final update after that will give a summary of original characters and ships that came from the story, to provide more depth to the lore for those still slightly confused!

Until then... get ready for the next installment: MACROSS LOST!