Five

You know that he said he'll be coming home soon as he written through the letter, but you didn't really expect him to come so soon.

Closing the door behind him, you had your back facing him.

You can do this.

"Ajax?"

You only heard him humm as you can hear his footsteps nearing you as soon as he finish closing the door of your apartment.

You can do this. No, you need to do this.

"Let's break up"

There you finally said it.

At the same time you turn around to face him. It's not like you're expecting some reaction coming from him. He just stood there looking at you in the eye.

He just stood there yet you felt like he was staring right through your soul. You couldn't help but to shift uncomfortably and look away. But knowing you need to explain, you tried to meet his glaze.

So you did, you started explaining, that you are tired, that you just want a normal relationship, you just want him to be with you, and his family of course. You just want him to stay. You just wanted to be treated the way you deserve to.

That you tried to hold on, you tried to make things work even without him. But you're tired, there was no growth between the two of you no matter how much you try and make things work. It was no longer worth it.

"We have to break up not because there's no love but because there is no growth"

You can't be the only one who needs growth. You both need that, and maybe the only way to achieve that is for you to part ways.

"And because relationships are worth fighting for Ajax, but I can't be the only one who's fighting"

You smile sadly at him as you stood across each other

You're just a couple of steps away but it felt like miles.

"It's like a part of me still wants you and another part of me knows I'm better of without you"

And you chose the latter with a little bit of first.

You watch him open and close his mouth, there was a moment of silence after that.

"I"

He clear his throat, but you started to avoid his glaze

"If that's what you want"

You failed to hear his voice tremble as you focus on not meeting his glaze, afraid that once you do, you might take everything you said back.

"I respect it"

He added

"I'm sorry"

You replied, looking down to your feet

There was a sound of footsteps until you see his boots right in front of yours.

"Don't be sorry for wanting to be treated well"

You don't know why, but as he said those words, all you wanted was to feel his embrace, but that never came.

"I should be the one who's sorry"

You heard him chuckle

Suddenly you felt a touch on your chin before being it up to meet his glaze.

"So don't be sorry, alright?"

He smile brightly at you, smiling close eyes

"It's my fault and I should be the one who's sorry"

He gently caresses your cheeks with his thumb

"And I'm sorry"

He said before kissing your forehead

"And I guess this is a goodbye"

Then he withdraw his touch

Smiling at you once again, he turn his back at you. And you just silently watch the scene as he walk towards the door. Reach out to it and twisting the door knob, he almost walk out, but then.

"I.."

You hesitate for a moment as he stop

"I will never regret you or say I wish I never meet you"

You stated

"Because once back then, you're exactly what I needed"

You added

And he just looks back at you, smile at you before for the first time in your life, close the door behind him.

You've done it.

As you thought of that you walk towards your bed, but after a couple of steps you legs gave in, making a thud noise as you fall on the floor, at the same time finding support on the nightstand. With a feeling of relief all over your body, alongside pain.

As tears finally gave in, your eyes fell on the simple small box resting on the nightstand untouched for a couple of weeks.