Chapter Nineteen

"Hi."

Brett heard Eddy's calm but cautious voice through the phone. And even though he was having the worst night ever and everything was most definitely screwed, he felt a little bit calmer.

"Hey," he said back.

"Is everything alright?" Eddy asked.

"Yeah, everything's fine."

"Are you sure?"

And something burst inside of him.

"Well, it was, but then as I was going home my roommates kind of stopped me? And now I can't get into my apartment so I walked all the way to the park and—"

"Um, Brett— "

"And I really don't know what to do because we have training tomorrow and I don't want to be outside all night and none of my friends would take me in without being really uncomfortable so I—"

"Brett."

"I called you and I don't want to bother you or anything but— actually I have no idea why I called you and you're probably really annoyed now—"

"BRETT!" Eddy roared, so loudly that he had to move the phone away from his ear.

"S-sorry," Brett said.

"I need you to take a deep breath."

He did.

"Okay, do that again," Eddy said, "but about three times more slowly."

He did, and even though his heartbeat was still way faster than normal, he could feel himself relaxing.

A minute later, Eddy asked: "Do you feel a little better now?"

"Yes," Brett said. And then: "Thank you."

"No problem. Where are you?"

"The park."

"Which one?"

Brett told him.

"Oh. Wow. I'm also here, actually. I'm, uh... in the middle of it?"

Somehow, Brett smiled. "Can you be more specific?"

"Well, there's some... trees... and grass... a few street lights..."

"So you have no idea."

"I have— yeah, I have no idea."

"Okay... could you text me your location?"

Eventually, they found each other, and for a moment they just stared, unsure what to say or do or think.

"Can I have a hug?" Brett asked shyly, breaking the silence.

"Yeah, of course."

Eddy's arms wrapped around him and his fingertips traced slowly up and down his spine.

"How are you feeling?" he asked softly.

"Better," Brett said, suddenly glad that the darkness covered his blush.

Somehow, they ended up sitting on a bench with Eddy's arm wrapped around his waist.

They sat in silence for a bit and Eddy asked: "Do you want to talk about what happened with your roommates?"

Brett bit his lip and looked away.

"Maybe in a little bit, then?"

Brett nodded, letting his cheek rest on Eddy's shoulder. Time seemed to float by them like a soft breeze, lingering here and there but never quite making contact.

Brett took a deep breath.

"There's not much to say, really," he said. "They were just having a party and didn't want me there. Although they usually let me into the apartment, at least."

"Usually?" Eddy asked. "This type of thing happened before?"

"Yeah, but it's not that big of a deal. I usually just wait in the park until they're done."

"If your roommates don't let you into the apartment, why are you staying with them?" His voice wasn't judgemental or accusatory, only curious. Still, Brett didn't answer.

"Do you not want to talk about it?"

"No... but I probably should..."

Eddy didn't say anything.

"I guess..." Brett said, "I guess it started when I came out to my family."