I flinch when you touch me, I fear it is him

- Page 37

Winnie patted at the pale strands as she left that morning from Opie's dorm, a smile on her lips, and a little extra something to her outfit. She'd spent a little extra time in front of the mirror; perfecting red lips, smoothing down stray strands, and making sure the mom jeans she had picked suited the white pumps that held her up. A cigarette sat within Winnie's fingers, already lit with a trail of thin, pale smoke rising.

Her lips locked around the tip, taking a deep drag with nervous fingers as she tugged on the door; the cool early morning air embracing her. Winnie exhaled, smiling slightly as she bit down on her lip, crossing the lot. It was her turn to open the garage, ready for when the mechanics would eventually turn up, stumbling in with a hangover. She needed the coffee pot on, to save herself the hassle of grumpy workers.

The keys jingled between small fingers, her eyes falling to the office door as she pushed the key in, and twisted. The scent of car oil and air fresheners hit her nose as she stepped in; door left open, and keys on the side. Placing the cigarette back between her lips, she quickly whirled to life the computer, inputting the stupid password.

bikesRlyf

She didn't even want to know who it was who came up with that. Clicking open the orders page, and grasping the appointment book from the side, Win set it up for the rest of the day. 15 booked appointments across five mechanics, and the books open for more walk-ins. After finishing the cigarette, and stubbing it into the ashtray; Winnie turned her attention to the shop floor.

The shutters needed to be opened, and she knew one of those bastards was tricky; requiring a firm hand on it's chains. Opening the blind and sorting out the coffee pot on her way to it, she fiddled around with the buttons. One of them would be to open the shutters, she just wasn't sure which one. Win hit the green one, seeing one of the shutters rolling open, but the other two remaining shut. She pursed her lips, worn out tags sitting above them.

This place needed a serious update. Flicking the two switches, she prayed it would be the right ones before going to the one she knew would be dodgy. "Anybody home?" She frowned, unable to recognise the voice.

"Over here." She called out, holding out a hand before she grasped the chains. "I'll be with you in a minute." Win tugged them, the metal giving a horrific shriek before they began to move, shuddering their way to the top. A smart dressed man stood in the doorway, his face one she hadn't seen before as she wrapped her arms around herself, frowning at him. "I'm sorry, we're not open yet; but I can book you in for later today."

He shook his head, pulling the sunglasses from his eyes before pushing them into his shirt. "No, I'm not here about the car."

Winnie's head cocked. "Then why are you here?" There were no men on the lot yet if there was trouble, but she knew a few of the guys still lingered in the Dorms.

"Oh, I'm just new in the area; thought I'd introduce myself." New to the area so he'd come here? Winnie felt uncomfortable, her stomach churning nervously. "Josh Kohn, and you are?"

She swallowed, taking his hand with a grimace. "Winnie Morrow." His hand felt clammy against hers, Winnie itching to pull it from his grasp. Cold blue eyes scanned her face before dropping over her clothes, Win taking a step back. She knew what men like him were like, and she feared them.