Chapter 5

Things don't always go as planned. You're trying to learn that, truly accept that it was ok for everything to not go according to plan. After all, It's not always a bad thing.

In the three years since that first international gig, you'd had a lot of good luck and a lot of hard work, and the sound design company you'd started- that had really just been you in the beginning- had gained a reputation for good work.

By being selective about who you employed, and having a good eye for potential, your little company had grown exponentially.

For better or for worse, the day to day operations had taken you away from set work almost completely.

But you were willing to make exceptions for old friends. So when Richard flew out to LA to personally meet with you in your modest office in The Valley, you had a feeling that you might be seeing the inside of a studio again soon.

You knew enough to congratulate him- enough places had confirmed that he was officially directing his first feature. And it seemed much nicer to concentrate on the exciting new chapter in his career, rather than have to talk about the rather public and mortifying (from his perspective) recent break up from Becky.

They had had a decent run for a few years, especially lucrative for her, since her make up artistry had taken a backseat to her blossoming acting career after enough people had noticed her on Richard's arm.

He would never claim to have anything to do with her career success, but that didn't mean you- and the rest of the world- didn't see how much having a famous boyfriend had to do with her ability to secure her first, and probably her second, leading roles.

She'd ended up trading him in for a younger, trendier co-star, and according to the stories, he'd found out about it in a pretty dramatic fashion.

The whole situation made you uncomfortable. You hadn't seen Becky for over a year, but even then, you'd known something had changed inside her. She wasn't the sweet girl who craved everyone's attention. She was an "it" girl now, and demanded everyone's attention. She'd fallen into the trap of believing her own hype, and it wasn't attractive. You were honestly a little shocked that Richard and she dated for so long.

But that wasn't why he was here. And even if you were dying to hear his side of the story, you weren't about to bring it up.

Over the years, he and you had occasionally run into each other. But this was the first time he'd seen your office, and you knew it was modest, But you were proud of every inch of it.

Richard happily followed you through the tour, you introduced him to a couple of key people before taking him into your office.

You sat down behind the impressive desk, resting your legs on it. Your uniform had changed quite a bit from the black jeans and tank tops he remembered you in- and it probably wasn't the best idea to kick up your legs when you're wearing a pencil skirt and heels. But it was Richard, and you loved the way he looked at your legs.

And yes, most of the time, you wouldn't allow some one to absentmindedly caress your calves while you haggled over daily kit fees. But it was Richard, and you had a soft spot for the way his fingers felt on you.

"Is this how you're going to dress On Set?" He asks.

You roll your eyes.

"You know, I can send you some one. I don't really have to be on set."

He pouts. "I know. But it would be more fun if you were. Like the good old days."

You laugh. "The good old days? Richard, all we did was get drunk together for a few weeks!"

"And it was fun!"

"You're going to be so busy, you won't have any time to go get drunk with me."

"I'll make the time."

You smile. Maybe you could make the time too.