28 - Ladybug

As soon as the shelf burst into flames, Adrien grabbed me and moved in front of me, in a protective stance. I appreciated it of course, but I had to get away from him to transform.

"Adrien run!" I said, and he nodded, sprinting in the opposite direction from me. I ran behind a chair and yelled, "Tikki, spots on!"

I ran out as Ladybug, and stopped dead in my tracks. The villain that we were fighting was familiar. The Evillustrator was back.

"Nathaniel?" I gasped.

"It's Evillustrator to you" he snarled back. "Where is Adrien?"

Chat Noir appeared through the window. "Adrien Adrien Adrien. Villains are always after him! Why does no one come after me?"

"Chat Noir!" I called my partner.

"Hello Milady" he greeted me with a wink. This was, of course, common behaviour for him.

So then why did my heart quicken it's pace at the sight of him?

He's just my partner. I told myself. Nothing more. But then why did I feel like this?

Shaking my head, I focused on what was happening before me. In no way was I allowed to get distracted on a mission again. Lives depended on it.

"I'm going to kill Adrien when I find him" the Evillustrator snarled. "And then Marinette will be mine!"

I put a hand on my forehead. Not this again! I thought that we had established the fact that I, rather Marinette, wasn't in love with him!

Once we got to work, defeating him was an easy feat. 

"Pound it" I told Chat, and he echoed our standard celebratory dialogue. He grinned at me, and butterflies erupted in my stomach. 

"How are you doing Bugaboo?" he asked me, leaning on his baton.

"I'm fine," I told him breezily. At least I hoped it sounded breezy.

But not for nothing though, Chat Noir had the sense of a literal cat. It's like he could sniff out my emotions from a mile away. He frowned. "Did I do something?"

"What? No! Everything's fine" I assured him hastily.

"So then why do you keep stepping away from me?" he said, lowering his head. Chat looked pale, as if the thought of me being repulsed to him made him sick.

But of course, I couldn't tell him what kind of thoughts I had started to have. Honestly, what the hell was wrong with me?

"No-Chat, it's not you" I said helplessly.

"Then what?" he very nearly demanded. "I want to fix this"

"I'm sorry, but I can't talk about it" I mumbled, and retreated further until I slammed into the wall behind me.

"I'm scaring you" he said with realisation, and I could see heartbreak written like a plain day across his face. It was shattering.

"I'm sorry you feel that way Ladybug" he hung his head low, and turned his back to me. "Guess I misunderstood our friendship"

He waited a moment, for me to say something, anything, but I couldn't. And so he looked at me one last time before jumping out the balcony window.

I sank to my knees, and cried like I'd never cried before. 

~~

A/N

Helluu!! 

Thank you all for 5k reads! Jeez I must have hit the lottery to get readers like you guys <3

In honour of this, I have a small task for you:

Rate your day/the day you previously had out of ten and tell me your favourite part about it :) 

I ask you this so that I can get to know you just as much as you can get to know me through my writing. Feel free to tell me how you're feeling, a fun fact about you or anything else! 

What did you guys think of this Chapter? 

Love y'all! 

xxx S