Chapter Twelve

~The Wedding~

            Tom pulled me aside right before we entered, looking a bit nervous. He sighed heavily before clapping me on the shoulder,

“Look, mate I’m sorry about what I’ve said in the past about you and Tori getting married… can’t believe it took me this long to realize you two are going through with this no matter what I say…and” he sighed again heavily, looking up at me with a crooked grin “I’m happy for you two…and wish you the best of years.”

“Thanks, mate” I breathed a sigh of relief, giving him a simple “bro hug” as the girls would put it before he straightened my bowtie and gave me a light shove towards the door.

            The usual wedding procedure took place, words were spoken by the priest, people were taking pictures, parents in tears, friends with smiles, etc., etc. and then the big moment finally came.

            The crowd stood as the organ began to play Canon in D, signaling the entrance of the bride. I looked down the aisle to see the grand double doors open. For a moment I was in utter shock, at the end of the aisle stood a beautiful woman in a breath-taking dress holding a bouquet. That woman was Tori. Her father walked beside her, arms linked. She was the perfect example of a blushing bride, a radiant being of perfection. She looked like a true princess…my princess…

            As they proceeded, I couldn’t take my eyes off her. She kept her eyes down, probably out of nerves. Those feelings of possibly being sick still lingered and honestly as Tori stood two feet away from me, she looked like she might faint. I stepped down to the ground level for her father to hand her off to me. He expertly lifted her hand as well as mine, placing hers in mine,

“Take good care of her…Nathan” he whispered with a wink before letting go and walking to stand next to Mrs. Fey.

He finally learned my name!

            She smiled at me, her face glowing, her eyes sparkling and her hand shaking. I kissed her cheek before leading her back up to the waiting priest. The usual lines were said, but I didn’t really hear them, too absorbed in the thought of how my Tori stood before me, only minutes from being my wife.

“You may say your vows” the priest nodded towards me.

Okay, Nathan, don’t screw this up.

“Tori, love…you’re the most important thing in my life and I can’t imagine a day without you. I ask that you take this ring as a symbol of my love and commitment to you. I promise to love you endlessly and support you as well as honor and treasure you like the jewel you are. I’ll be your hero and protect you from any harm... I promise to be your shoulder to cry on, your best friend, your rock and shield, and your personal soldier. All my life I’ve waited for you and I promise to stay faithful to you and only you. I want to spend the rest of my life by your side, comfort you, encourage you, and grow with you in mind and spirit. I know we may be forced to be apart from time to time, but I promise to always be open and honest with you as long as we both live... ” I took a deep breath “I love you, Victoria.” I finished before sliding the ring on her finger.

She mouthed “I love you too” with a wide smile and a tear in her eye.

The priest nodded towards her to say her vows and she took a quiet, deep breath.

“Nathan… I ask that you take this ring as a sign of my commitment to love you unconditionally and stay faithful to you. I promise to cherish every moment we have together and support you in everything you do. I’ll care for you, encourage you, and stay true to only you. We’ve been through so much together, it’s crazy… but it was all worth it.” I noticed she began to tear up and slightly choke on her words “I’ll be your biggest fan, your closest friend, and the person that keeps you grounded. I want to spend the rest of my life with you... I promise to be your strength in your darkest hour. We were made for each other and I put my complete trust in you. I promise to keep our love alive as long as we both live… I love you…and always will” she said, carefully sliding the ring on my finger.