"It was too late. You had already baited Nicodra before I knew of anything. You wanted to learn how things work around here, well, this is how they work. It is not easy. It is not clean."

Splashes of betrayal hit my face. "Y-You congratulated me."

David gives one swooping nod. "Yes. You achieved your goal with Luna Godoy. You very likely made history today."

"I made history-in less than forty-eight hours, mind you-but you're disappointed."

"I'm not disappointed. I simply wish you thought this through-that's what happens when you rush into things."

I swallow. "So, what do I do then? Wait to see if Nicodra comes after me?"

"I suggest we meet Nicodra in person and talk this through."

"But he choked me," I press.

"Believe me, Brigette, I am aware. Every time I look at you, I am made aware," he admits, tense-bothered. "The last thing I want to do is sit down across from that..." he saves my ears from his profanity, "but it's what must be done. Sometimes we do things we do not want to do."

I continue to step away from him, scattered, subtle steps. "I can't. I can't, not after what I said."

"What did you say? Tell me what you said to him."

My brows tug together as I begin to crumble from the inside out. "I said-I said he's selfish and shouldn't be an Alpha. That he's a hothead and a fool. He's untrustworthy, unstable, and dangerous-that and some other things about him being unable to manipulate everyone now."

David breathes. "He attacked you before or after you said this?"

"It was kind of in-between, but most of the name-calling was...was after."

"And that's all that happened?"

"Well," I mutter, "I told him to watch his back, which he didn't like."

David places his hands on his hips and peers past me to the beginning of the hall as his mind surely turns with solutions.

"He hurt me," I say just above a whisper. "I shouldn't have to apologize. He's an ass and everyone knows it."

David tries to draw me in, but I jerk away and run my hands into my hair, falling against the wall and sliding to my butt. The very thought of apologizing for the truths I spoke makes my bones rattle in annoyance.

"You shouldn't have to," he says, "but this isn't cut and dry; it never will be when you're in this position. We need to get it over with to make sure Nicodra doesn't do anything drastic out of anger. We need to secure your safety and the pack's safety. So I'll call tomorrow when we're home."

I say nothing.

"If you think this is easy for me to do, you're wrong. This is the last thing I want to do. I'd much rather go after him myself, which only suggests Nicodra is considering the same." He sighs and crouches down to me. "You know this, Brigette. You asked me yourself-nothing is beneath this man."

"He grabbed me and pushed me against the wall. He choked me and only squeezed harder, David. And maybe that's what I asked for-what I wanted. I wanted him to get thrown out, for people to look at him and see a villain because he is one." I push up and dust off my pants. "If I forgive him and everything is well, then what's stopping everyone else from doing the same?"

"Strained peace is better than war," he says thoughtfully. "Even if he was the most corrupt Alpha in history, we couldn't take him down by ourselves. He has his people, guards, power. Fighting him would bring more pain than good; our time doesn't accommodate war."

"I-I don't want war," I murmur.

David tries again to touch me, and this time I let him. He gently leads me to his chest, and my arms wrap around him. "You did a lot for our women and daughters today," he says as he strokes my hair. "You've possibly saved the lives of our mothers and mates let alone entires packs, which is far more than any of us can claim."

I hide my face against him, withholding any tears.

"I'm proud of you, Brigette. Imagine what Jeremy will say when you tell him?"

I choke out a laugh. "Goddess, he won't believe it."

"How about we get through the rest of the day, then get the hell out of here?"

"Yeah," I say, pulling back. "Okay."

"I'm proud of you, Brigette."

I smile and run my hands along his chest, straddling him as he lay against our bed. The windows are open and the coastal breeze carries through all the way from the ocean, through the forest, to my lungs. The moon is brighter than ever, and he appears godly in its etherial haze.

"I love you," I coo, unbothered by our bareness. I can feel it-the aches and deep-seeded bruises caused by lovemaking. "I love you so much even thinking of your absence makes me scream."

The white fabrics draped over the canopy billow around us. David caresses my thighs and hips. "Go on, then."

I shake my head. "No. Not yet."

"Sometimes we do things we do not want to do."

Tears well in my eyes and soon roll down my cheeks. "I can't, David. You know I can't."

His hands leave my shaking body and scoop up my own. He guides them to his throat and places them there, ready to squeeze. A sob rakes through my chest and muffles in my mouth. I cry, "I can't. I can't-I won't."

But then my hands betray me, and they begin to crush in on his neck.

Once he is dead, I lay on top of him, wondering why I haven't woken yet. His body cools beneath me, his strength and scent fading away with every sweep of the breeze. My tears pool in the center of his chest as it concaves in decay. I don't dare look at his once beautiful face-I'm too scared to see it fall victim to this hell.

My skin remains plump but his thins and hangs from his skeleton-withering. Eventually, my eyes remain closed, and I never open them again.

The metal body of the plane purrs beneath me as I cry softly in my seat. I cover my sniffles with the thick material of my sweater and hope David does not stir awake from his nap in his seat on the other side.

************************************************
Thought I would double update again since I've been working ahead. There will be more to come!