IX - Why do you hide?

Quick A/n:

Hi! Henlo!!! How's the story so far? I can't believe we're now at chapter 9. I didn't expect the story would continue- I just wrote this on a whim, but then I ended up liking it even more.

[Prob because I got excited as well since I'm caught up in the manga ;)))]

Anyhow, thank you for the love and support you guys give! I truly appreciate it. Those little votes and comments would always brighten me up!

Also, like I said in the past A/n. This is a new arc in the story, and even I'm excited for it hehehe. Personally, this is one of my favorite chapters to write.

I hope you guys enjoy!!! That's all!!!

》》》

The sound of her footsteps blended with the different murmurs and grumbles from the beasts lurking around the forest. Kaoru let out steady breathes as she ventured through the wilderness, her only source of light was from the moon, stars, and some fireflies.

One would say that her choice of adventuring through the forest all alone and with nature as her light source was pretty stupid- and she would wholeheartedly agree to that statement. Yet, she had no other option. As much as she wanted to make a torch, she fears she might cause a forest fire if she were too careless; and it might even attract other beasts and even Hyoga's faction to her location. She couldn't risk it.

Her light sources were enough to her content. She had her sharp sense of smell after all. As she trekked deeper and deeper to the forest, her nose was filled with the blended and untouched smell of mother nature- one scent that she had missed badly 3700 years ago. No pollution, no smoke, just nature blessing her nostrils.

As much as she wanted to bask in it, she had to remain vigilant and focus on one specific smell- the Black Nightshades. A flower that she entrusted Gen to leave behind serving as a guide for her. The flowers weren't the many, she hoped the mentalist managed to leave minimal and discreet tracks so that Hyoga and the others wouldn't notice. Although, she didn't have to worry about it a bit since she deduced that most of the men in Hyoga's group were thick-headed. Kaoru only had to be wary of Hyoga himself and his right-hand woman, Homura.

After almost hours of running, walking, and some failed attempts to jump from tree to tree- exhaustion started to get the best of her. She couldn't tell how many hours had passed but she was certain she was now far from the Tsukasa empire. The more she traveled, the more difficult it was to detect the smell of the Black Nightshade. She had to catch up to Hyoga or arrive at the village before she could rest or else she might lose the scent of the flower soon.

Taking one deep sniff, Kaoru tried to detect where the scent of the flowers was- but this time, her nose couldn't catch anything. She was about to panic, fearing she might have gotten lost when instead her nose caught the scent of smoke.

Rather than heading towards the origins of the smoke, she decided to climb up the highest tree she could find and check where she was. At that moment, her eyes widened.

"Is this it? I've made it?" She gasped. Her eyes first focused on the light brought on by a supposed campfire a few meters away from her, but to her astonishment- it was found wandered the small village placed on top of a plateau-like island connected to bridges.

She was speechless. She couldn't believe it herself. "This is the village... Where Senku's hiding..."

The thought of him being so close made her heart gush with excitement and joy.