58: Someone Else's Heartbreak

A/N: Here's the first of the Paris chapters. It's a full chapter but think of it as a primer for what's the come. All the clues are here/have been here, so let me know if you have any guesses. There is a little flashback moment in Mia's POV. Also, I hope you enjoy these little snippets of alternate POVs. Enjoy. 

HUNTER'S POV

I'm the second oldest of four kids. One older sister and two younger.

Growing up I witnessed my fair share of heartbreaks and one thing was always the same, at least between my three sisters.

There were always tears.

Sad, angry, relieved, even happy after some time had past but they always cried.

I don't say this to mean that every owner of a broken heart needs to show their emotion this way, there are many ways to deal with that kind of pain, but get to know someone long enough, you eventually know how they will react.

It's been a surprising joy to pass on all my tips to my little cousin, Teddy. He's barely a teenager now but he and my aunt have been living with us for years now and he's become a little brother to me. I don't mind saying that I charged him with "protecting" the family when I left to take this job.

There was a part of me that felt bad for leaving him and the rest of my family behind but seeing his wide eyes and big 11-year-old smile when I said it made everything okay.

I hope Teddy isn't dealing with anything like this back home.

So I'm left to wonder, do I not know Mia at all, or is whatever is going on so painful and shocking that even crying won't help ease her pain.

The unknown is scary and knowing all that I know about her life and her loss, she shouldn't be this quiet which leads to me believe that she's holding everything in because the alternative is too much right now.

But she'll get here, she's strong. I know she'll get through this.

Mia hasn't said a word since we separated from the group at the airport and now I'm sitting in the suite she was supposed to be sharing with Harry listening out for any sound that she might need a shoulder to cry on.

I don't know what happened between them, only that it has hurt her to the point of silence.

Should I ask? Would it do more harm than good?

All I can think about is the torn up look on her face as she walked down the aisle of the airplane and took the seat next to mine and then the devastated look on his face when I turned back and saw him standing by the bathroom door where I left him after our confrontation.

They are both hurting but my allegiance is only to one.

At one point in time, I would feel for him, maybe even help the guy out and talk to Mia lightly in his favor but I was crushing on the fantasy before, the persona he puts out into the world.

Now reality has hit, that is not the case.

He's very much that man, he doesn't lie until he does, and although he'd never lie about his feelings for her, when it comes to Mia's wellbeing and what he thinks is best for her, he makes some stupid decisions even if his driving force is his love for her.

At least that's all I got from what happened on the plane.

All that doesn't matter now.

My phone starts buzzing again and I flinch, ready to decline the call again but then I see Monica's name and answer immediately.