━━𝟏𝟑.𝐓𝐨𝐫𝐧𝐚 𝐚 𝐜𝐚𝐬𝐚

Începe de la început

I felt like I needed to eat something, but still I wasn't hungry. My hands clung to the bathroom door handle and I searched for a hold on it while I reviewed the events of the previous evening.
Elle's words came to mind, she had said I should talk to Damiano, Sophia had said the same and I knew they were right.
Besides, I had already made up my mind to talk to him, just in the corridor it had somehow been a reflex to flee from him.
It had been silly.

Damiano couldn't help it that I was so impulsive and he deserved to be allowed to explain himself. There was a knock at my door, and without thinking twice I opened it and recognised Sophia, who was looking at me anxiously.
"You left," it sounded almost accusatory.
"I wanted to get my things," I said, explaining, and held up the phone I was holding.
"And I thought you threw yourself off my balcony," I rolled my eyes when she said that.
"Can I come in now?" she asked tensely.

I made a gesture to her to come in and she smiled, "There's someone else waiting outside," she said and I frowned.
Since the door wasn't closed again, I looked out and Vic waved at me, my expression relaxing again.

"Come in," I said and waved her in, she joined Sophia on my bed.
"Are you trying to manipulate me now or what's happening?", I asked, crossing my arms in front of my chest, "Because I've already decided to talk to him."

"Oh that's good," Sophia said quickly.
"But actually we're just here to offer you emotional support. If you want to talk we can talk, if you want our opinion we can say that too, if you just want to cry we'll give you tissues and if you want to watch movies we'll get you popcorn," Vic grinned enthusiastically and I felt my heart swell with so much compassion from them both.

"You're so sweet," I murmured quickly, "I don't deserve you at all."
Victoria quickly shook her head, "Don't diminish your worth just because you're unhappy right now. You're great, Cora," she looked at me sternly.

We actually decided to listen to music together and talk. Vic chose the songs and after a while she paused the song that was playing, "Cora, I don't know if you want to hear it, but I'd like to tell you something," I nodded and said, "Sure, tell me."

Instead of starting to talk, she turned on a new song.
After a few notes I recognised the familiar tune, Torna a casa.
"Please just pay attention to the lyrics," Vic said and I nodded, even though I had actually heard the lyrics a few times before.

Damiano's voice was singing about a woman he loved. The first verse built up and I faltered when I heard the words.

Just a paper sheet and half a cigarette are left in my hand
Let's stay a little longer, we're not in a hurry
Because I've got a sentence written in my head, but I've never said it
Because life without you can't be perfect

I looked up at Vic, "Is that-" I didn't get the chance to finish because she was already nodding, "Yeah, that song was for you."

So Marlena come back home
It's starting to be cold here
So Marlena come back home
I don't wanna wait anymore
So Marlena come back home
It's starting to be cold here
So Marlena come back home
I am afraid of disappearing

A single tear rolled down my cheek. "Marlena?" I asked and Vic smiled sadly, "Marlena is you," she said.
As the last notes of the song faded, Vic said in a raspy voice, "After you left, Cora, Damiano never once met another girl. Many were interested in him, but he turned them all down. I don't know what you thought you saw there last night, but Damiano doesn't get involved with other girls. His heart broke when you disappeared and I firmly believe that you are the only one who can mend it."

"But why?", I asked quietly.
"Because he loved you, Cora, he fucking loved you so much and I don't think he ever stopped," Vic declared with conviction and straightened up.
"Damiano was with me earlier, he was bugging me all the time because he wanted to talk to me. I don't know if he would tell you himself, so I'm telling you now: Damiano knew that you would be here at the hotel. We were supposed to be at another hotel, but he managed to convince Marta, our manager, to change the booking so he could see you again. He couldn't handle the fact he would never be able to see you again and when he found out that you were actually participating in the ESC he was so damn happy. He knew you were here from the start and he's not stupid enough to risk all that just to make out with some random girl he meets in a club."

I felt terribly stupid when I heard her words.
"I need to talk to him," I said then and Vic smiled, "Yes, you do."

I immediately got up from the bed and wordlessly left the room, leaving Sophia and Vic inside.
Before I could press the button to call the lift, the doors were already opening.

I looked up and met Damiano's gaze, staring at me as if he doubted I was real.
"Damiano," I breathed, his brown eyes boring into my soul.
"Coraline."