𝘗𝘳𝘰𝘭𝘰𝘨𝘶𝘦

prologue 0.0
the woman in black

★ Time is dangerous ★

Time is dangerous

3 January 2016
somewhere in London

Click. Click. Click.

This was the only sound revibrating across the eerily empty room painted nothing but black. Its ceiling was black, its floor was black, its walls were black, even the table and chair combo in the middle of the room were of pitch black color. Ironically, the room was still brightly lit.

The only thing standing out was the crimson chair in a deep corner of the room with a young man sitting on it, clad in a sharp mustard robe.

He didn't seem to be able to focus on anything in particular as he shuffled in his seat, occasionally let out sounds in boredom, and kept on clicking the sparkling golden pen in his hand, his leg shaking as the folders sitting in his lap in turn shook too.

He just took occasional turns to glance at the woman sitting in the centre of the room who just kept on staring, with a faraway look in her eye, at a random spot on the table in front of her.

She seemed to be middle aged, perhaps thirty five to forty, her hair pinned into a tight knot bun as her wrinkle-free funeral attire nearly camouflaged in the black background.

It fitted the description in his folder.

Moreover, the thick bandage around her left hand proved her verdict.

A sudden gust of air filled the room momentarily as the pitch black metallic door in another deep corner of the room jutted open and two humans, one man and one woman, entered the room.

He stood up the moment they entered, bowing his head in greeting as they all gathered near the centre of the room, i.e., near the woman in black.

"We have just been told of your arrival." began the man, moving to stand in front of them, and cleared his throat to speak in a deep authoritative voice as poker looks covered the faces of the woman and the mustard robed man.

However, the woman in black seemed unaffected.

"We did our best to be here as soon as possible." he finished, looking at the woman in black but she just continued to be lost in her thoughts, making the other woman snap her fingers in front of her face to jerk her back into reality.

She looked up, scanning them with her eyes almost as if just registering their presence and stopped at the authoritative voiced man who seemed to be their head.

"Shall we get started?" he sighed, almost sounding annoyed.

She just nodded along numbly, continuing to look at them as if they were the most eccentric organisms.

The other three exchanged glances at her behaviour.

"Where did you arrive? Did anybody see you?" the head began the inquiry.

"I arrived at the forest exactly as planned." the woman in black muttered, her voice sounding raw and dry, and on looking close enough she almost looked dehydrated.

"Brilliant." he smiled in appreciation before moving to the next question. "And was it at the agreed time?"

She nodded once more as the mustard robed man just remembered to record the inquiry and hastily jutted down her two previous responses, the open file dangling uncomfortably from his hand.

"Where did you go first?"

"I took a room at a pub in a nearby village, put my belongings there, and then proceeded to the first task." the woman in black answered, the effort putten into speaking clearly visible. The painful throbbing in her left hand didn't really help either.

"Alright." the head nodded as the mustard robed rushed to record her responses.

"Now," he continued, "can you tell us how the first task went? Or perhaps it would be better if you would show us instead."

Without waiting for her approval, the other woman grabbed her by the arm and took her to an adjoined room as the other two followed suit.

This room was bright and shiny, contrasting to the previous one, with portraits of numerous dignitaries which, unfortunately, now hung empty. It was also bare of any furniture as the solitary item, a large sink-like structure constructed of gleaming white marble stood in the centre of the room, with a silvery substance in the deep sink-like space. The dazzling light created by the silvery substance seemed to illuminate the entire room.

The woman in black shakily drew out her wand from her robe pocket and placed it at her temple. She started pulling out a dazzling string-like substance that was far too long and placed it in the sink-like region and began to speak, "This is my entire journey. Nothing is being hidden from you."

As the head swirled the silvery substance with his wand, all the people in the room submerged their heads into the sink and sunk down into her memories.