Chapter 2

Sakura scarves down another glass of water as the air conditioning freezes against the sweat soaking her body. She does not know how long she has been sitting here, under the coerce ticks of her clock, how long she has been wailing to Ino about her suffering and how long she's been holding her bladder after drinking about half a dozen glasses of water. Her bladder doesn't concern her any more than the situation she is in, but telling Ino is like a gust of fresh wind and Sakura feels like she can finally breathe after suffocating for long.

Ino remains tight-lipped, playing with the end of her ponytail. Sakura knows how concerned Ino is just by studying the set of Ino's jaw and the way her sky-like eyes are arrayed on the lifeless concrete floor carpeting her office. It reminds her of Sasuke's room—lifeless; she dismisses the thought with a shake of her head.

Ino slumps her head back, pulling Sakura out of her stupor, and releases a long sigh she has been holding in as she settles her hand on her forehead before meeting the olive eyes she always adored. She lets her eyes hover over Sakura's swollen eye bags, her sticky tear-stained face and cherry nose and somehow, it seems like she has lost half her weight since her wedding day.

"Isn't this enough?" Sakura drops her head down, brows taunt and eyes misty as Ino goes on, "You have had more than your fair share of troubles. And now this—" Sakura knows that fact better than anyone "—I can't even begin to imagine how emotionally draining it is."

She glances at Ino from the corner of her eyes, the tension of her brow, the lines on her forehead and the clenched teeth. Ino has been a bigger part of her life than her parents or anyone had ever been—she played the part of a mother, sister and friend without ever grumbling. Needless to say, Ino worries about every little thing that may hurt Sakura. She is willing to become a wall for her to take the arrows which stab her. Ino can't relate with Sakura but she sure can commiserate with her life up to this point. But pity is far from what Sakura needs now. What does she need, anyway? Why did she even tell Ino? For sympathy? A solution? Or to share a burden with her, just like she has always done? Sakura is as clueless as a stranger. The thought makes her throat run dry. Self-pity drowns her in the familiar pit of darkness she has been acquainted with through her nightmares. 

"Listen," Ino says, taking Sakura's hand in her own, as she jolts out of her zoning out, "it might sound harsh but... you need a divorce."

It isn't just harsh—it actually sucks the air out of Sakura's lungs. No matter how her relationship with Sasuke is, she is in love with Sasuke. She has been for a long time but didn't have the spirit to act on it. Even now, more than love, what chains her is fear, of her parents, of Sasuke's parents, of her own. It bruises her, but it's what keeps her from drowning to death in the sea of darkness waiting below. Because what if she reinforces her resolve and divorces him? What will she do after that? She doesn't have a place in this world. Ino can't babysit her forever—she has a boyfriend, one who loves her to no end. Sakura belongs to nowhere in this world. 

"I know," Ino notices Sakura freezing over her sentence, "I know you love him. I'm not saying now. You can take your time. Have him agree to it. Talk it out with him some time later. And then," Ino gulps, the light illuminating an unemerged tear in her eye, "leave this town." 

Her body shudders at Ino's sentence and Sakura turns her head to her best friend, opening her mouth to turn down before Ino cuts her off. "Sakura, you need to go to Tokyo. That's where you belong. You have the power to become anything you want. I'll have a place prepared for you. And I'll find you a job. It might be hard to start from the beginning but you'll live a life much happier than this." 

Tears spring down Sakura's eyes as Ino lets her own loose, a mellow smile on her face, "I'll visit you. Every month if I can. Even every week if you wish me to. We can even go on a trip like we always planned. Don't worry, Sakura. Everything will be alright. You go there, build a life for you and find someone new, someone much better to love who'll love you back equally."