107. The Dragon Living in Fear

Harry was silent for a long time before he replied, "I need to talk to Malfoy first." Draco grew even paler before going down another shade when Harry knocked on the door. 

"Come in," I said, laying back down on my pillow. Harry, Ron, and Hermione all entered. 

Looking directly at Draco, Harry said, "I need to talk to you." 

"He's not leaving here without me," I said firmly in a tone that made Harry sigh, knowing he wasn't going to convince me otherwise. Draco wasn't meeting his gaze. Instead, he fiddled anxiously with his fingers. 

"Malfoy," he said. 

"Potter, Weasley, Granger," Draco replied, not unkindly. After an awkward pause, he glanced at Harry and said, "Thanks for, uh, saving my life back there. If you hadn't gotten me, Aunt Bellatrix would have killed me." 

"I only did that for Valerie," Harry replied, taking a seat as Hermione and Ron did the same. Another awkward silence. 

His anxiety getting the best of him, Draco began bouncing his knee and said quickly, "You wanted to talk to me about something?" 

"Have you heard anything about what You-Know-Who is doing?" Harry asked. Draco's eyes instantly clouded over in fear and his breathing picked up. His bouncing knee increased in speed. 

"Draco, breathe," I said gently. "He can't get to you here. He has no idea where you are." 

"N-No, but he knows exactly where my mother is," he replied in a quiet voice. 

"Draco," I said softly. "The quicker we can defeat him, the quicker we can make sure your mother is safe. The best way to do that is if you tell Harry what you know." 

After staring off into space for a long time, he said, "I don't know exactly, but..." He broke off again. 

"Take your time," I encouraged gently. 

"It has something to do with his wand," Draco said finally. "I think that's why he took Olivander. He took my dad's wand before the beginning of the school year." 

"That must be the one he was using when we left your house, Harry," I said. 

"The one my wand shattered," Harry added. "Speaking of which, we need to figure out wands. What happened to yours, Valerie?" I reached into my pocket and drew it out, wincing. 

"So everyone has one apart from you, Harry," Ron said grimly. 

After a hesitant pause, Draco pulled his out and said, "Here. Take mine." 

"I'd have to have won it from you for it to work," Harry countered. 

"Borrow Hermione's wand and disarm him, then," I said. "Only disarm. Hurt him and I kill you." Harry did as I suggested and took Draco's wand. "We can get you another one once we get out of here, Draco." 

"You're leaving?" Hermione said suddenly. 

"Once I can handle it, yes," I replied. "Right now, it's more important that I protect Draco than help you all. I think you can handle it on your own." 

"She's right," Ron said. "Plus, you need to get back to Fred. He's probably freaking out." 

"I should tell him what happened," I said. 

"I'm sure Bill already did," Ron replied. 

"Was there anything else?" Draco asked quietly. 

"Yeah," Harry said. "Why'd it take you so long to jump in?" Draco looked away, rubbing his eyes. They came back moist.