70. Lions and Serpents

"You asked to see me, Professor?" I asked, stepping into the office.

"Valerie," Dumbledore replied, setting aside what he had been working on. "I need you to do me a favour."

"Of course, Professor," I replied. "What is it?"

"One of the members of the Order were caught in their guard duty," he explained. "I need you to cover their shifts. I would have the others do it, but honestly they barely get enough sleep as is. Can you do it?"

"Of course," I replied. "Just let me know when I have a shift and how to get inside."

"Well your first one is tonight," he admitted. "I know you have Quidditch, but I think you should have enough time to end practice and fly to London."

"Okay," I agreed. "How do I get in?"

.....................................................................................

"All right, team," I called, rushing onto the pitch for practice. Everyone had evidently been waiting. "Sorry I'm late." They all landed and circled up around me. "I had a meeting with Dumbledore."

Harry gave me a curious look. "Okay, so as you all know, we've got a match tomorrow. I know you're all nervous, but I promise you that we are going to crush this game if, and only if, we work together as a team. That means not trying to be the hero. You go for what gets us the points not what makes you look good, got it?"

Everyone muttered agreement and I smiled, replying, "Then let's get in the air and make sure Slytherin doesn't know what will hit them tomorrow. Up in the air!" After a spectacular practice, I sent everyone to change and began gathering up the balls.

"You seem more hurried than usual," Fred remarked, wrestling the bludger into the box with some difficulty.

"I got somewhere to be," I replied. At his questioning look, I lowered my voice and admitted, "Order stuff. I'll be back late tonight."

"Are you sure that's a good idea?" Fred asked. "What about the match?"

"I'll be fine," I replied. "It's just until midnight and then I'll be headed back. Don't worry, Fred. Trust me, I've got this."

......................................................................................

As it turned out, guard duty was far more boring than I expected. It was just a lot of standing and watching. There was hardly a sound the entire time. Just the occasional Ministry worker leaving from their shift or some clatter from upstairs.

At long last, however, it was midnight and I began to creep back out of the Ministry. Once outside, I passed off the invisibility cloak to Tonks and changed into a raven to fly off into the night.

It was around two in the morning by the time I was finally able to tiredly crawl in bed. Instantly, I was out like a light.

..................................................................

I shivered as I stood out on the pitch, examining the conditions. It was cold and clear, quite perfect conditions to play in. I had sent owls to the rest of the team to come down as soon as possible so I could spend some time to myself before the game.

Most of the team arrived as I ran off my nerves on my eighth lap around the pitch. Fred instantly stopped me, saying, "Valerie, we can't have you exhausted before the match even begins and you were already up late last night."

"Fred, I'm fine," I countered. "But you're right. Come on, let's go and get changed." I went into the captain's office and changed, my nerves twisting in my stomach as I paced back and forth. I could hear students beginning to come down to the pitch and my anxiety rose. This game was my first one as captain. Success and failure would reflect on me, fair or not.