101. Calm Before the Storm

When I woke up, Harry, Ron, and Hermione were standing around the island with coffee mugs in front of them. Letting out a groan, I detached my cheek from my hand on the table. "Morning," Hermione said with a small smirk. 

"Hi," I replied, stumbling to my feet to get a cup of coffee. 

Talking in a low voice, Harry said, "We need to figure out our next move." 

"You mean our first move?" Ron countered with a smirk. Before they could talk more, Hermione shushed them, giving me a cautious look. 

Leaning with my elbows against the island, I sipped at my coffee and said, "I need to be off soon. I'm to join Fred and George at their shop. At the moment it is the best place for me to be. You may stay as long as you need. I can speak to Kreature and ask him to help you in whatever way he can." 

"You may as well take him with you," Harry said bitterly. 

"Harry," I sighed. "He is not as bad as you may think. He has changed." Rolling my eyes at his doubtful look, I said, "Kreature." 

He appeared, asking, "Do you want breakfast, Mistress? Kreature baked some of your favourite scones last night and Kreature can cook up some sausage if you like." 

"Yes, thank you, Kreature," I replied. "And you may cook some extra for yourself, as always." 

"Thank you, Mistress," he said quickly with excitement. I smiled, watching as he made up a plate of scones and handed them to me. As he was getting out the sausage, he asked, "Would Mistress' guests like some as well?" 

"Sure," Ron replied. 

"Yes, thank you, Kreature," Hermione replied kindly. Harry added in his own request, giving me a surprised look. I bit into one of the scones, relishing in the familiarity. 

"These are excellent, Kreature," I praised. "I must say, I have missed your cooking." 

"Mistress is very kind to Kreature," he replied, taking the frying pan off the stove and beginning to take out the sausage and dish it out onto five plates. After handing them out, he took his plate and went back into his room. 

"I stand corrected," Harry remarked, staring after the once-unpleasant house-elf. I smirked triumphantly. "How'd you manage it?" 

"Oh, just treated him kindly, gave him everything pertaining to Bellatrix and Narcissa that I found," I explained. "It also helps to know his fondness for sausage. Once I learned that it was only a matter of time. I have to admit, I have even found myself growing fond of him." 

"So when are you leaving?" Hermione asked. 

"As soon as possible," I replied. "I know he said he is okay, but I can't be sure unless I see him. I will just have a word with Kreature, pack a bag, and be off." 

"You said Kreature's name, Mistress?" Kreature said, emerging with his plate. 

"Yes," I replied, setting aside my mug. "Come with me." After putting his plate in the sink, he followed me upstairs to my room. 

As I began to pack a bag of clothes and things, I explained, "Harry, Ron, and Hermione will be staying here for a while. I need you to look after them as if they were me. If anything happens and they leave, you can come and find me and stay with me. You don't have to be alone if you don't want to be. I will likely be at my husband's shop in Diagon Alley." 

"Yes, Mistress," he replied. "Kreature will do as you say." 

Crouching down beside him, I said, "I will miss you, Kreature. Especially your scones." 

"Kreature can pack the ones left for Mistress to take," he offered. 

"That would be wonderful," I replied with a smile. "Bring them to me when you get them packed up and then I will be off." Bowing, he left and returned just as I finished packing. I placed the package in my bag and slung it over my shoulder. He followed behind me as I went back down to the kitchen. "I'm off," I said, facing the trio before me. After a small hesitation, I said, "Look, I know you all have some mission for Dumbledore. I don't want to know what it is, but I will leave you with this. Be careful and be smart." 

"Thanks for everything, Valerie," Harry said, giving me a hug. 

"Be safe," I replied, hugging him back. Turning to Hermione, I hugged her and said, "Keep these two in line, yeah?" 

"Of course," she replied with a chuckle. 

"Good luck," I said, hugging Ron. 

"Valerie, let me know, somehow, if anything happens to my family," Ron requested. "Our family," he corrected. 

"I will," I promised. "And I will protect them with my life." 

"Thank you," he replied. I gave him a small smile before facing the group at large. 

"Look out for each other, all right? And no matter what, stick together," I said. "Albus wanted you to do this task, whatever it is, together. Remember that." Giving them each one last hug, I left and went to stand just outside the house to apparate. The dreary sight of Diagon Alley met my eyes. The moment it appeared, I rushed into Weasley's Wizard Weazies. 

"Fred!" I called, rushing up the stairs to the small flat where they lived. The moment I caught sight of him, I gasped. "You said you were all fine!" He flinched at my harsh tone. A dark purple bruise had formed around his eye. Coming closer to him, I stood on tiptoe to see the extent of the damage. Gently, I brushed my thumb over the edge of the bruise. 

"What happened?" I asked softly. 

"They were questioning us about you and Harry," he explained. "One of the Death Eaters didn't like it when I got mouthy with him." 

"Fred," I said in a warning tone, cupping his cheeks. "You can't provoke them. This is how you get hurt. You're lucky that is all they did to you." 

"Where did you go?" he asked. 

"Grimmauld Place," I explained. "I saw Ron. He's fine. He's with Hermione and Harry." 

"Good," he replied. 

"Where's George?" I asked. 

"He stayed at the Burrow to look after Mum," he explained. "She was rather shaken." 

"And how are Bill and Fleur?" I asked. 

"Fine," he replied. "They're headed to Shell Cottage. A safe house, of sorts." I nodded, setting aside my bag before moving into his arms. He held me against his chest as I closed my eyes. I was calm, but being in his arms made me calmer. 

"Why does there have to be a war?" I asked quietly. 

"I don't know," he replied, beginning to play with my hair. "But Valerie." He waited until I had lifted my head to look at him. Cupping my cheeks, he promised, "I will protect you with my life." Kissing my forehead, he hugged me again, perching his chin on my head as I lay back against his chest and he rocked me back and forth, calming me.