68. Loss of Quidditch, Loss of Safety

"Seriously, Potter?!" I screamed, storming up to Harry at the breakfast table. "You got more detention? Quiddich practice is hard enough as it is, I don't need you making it worse!"

"Miss Black, how dare you make such a racket in the Great Hall! Five points from Gryffindor!" Professor McGonagall shouted.

"But Professor, he's gone and gotten himself in detention, again!" I retorted angrily. Before I could hear her response, I spotted a very worried-looking Dumbledore. My brows furrowed as he gestured for me to come with him.

Without a glance at the others, I wordlessly followed him into his office. "What's going on?" I asked, crossing my arms.

"I believe the situation is becoming more and more dire by the minute," Dumbledore admitted. "Professor Snape has just come back with a report. It seems that Voldemort-" I flinched slightly "-has finally trusted him enough to reveal that he has a number two."

"Who?" I asked quietly.

"We can't be sure, but I have a few theories. In the meantime, he has also learned that Voldemort-" I flinched again "-has set his eyes on taking you out," Dumbledore said. I let out a breath, backing up slightly and collapsing in a chair. I sighed, closing my eyes and rubbing the bridge of my nose.

"Does Dad know?"

"Yes," he replied. "And we are carefully monitoring him to make sure he is not used against you."

"Thank you," I replied. "What do you need me to do?" My eyes widened suddenly as I thought of something. "Wait, I know what I need to do." Standing, I asked, "Do you have anything else you need to speak with me about?"

"That was the main thing," Dumbledore said. "You are excused." I nodded and left, instantly heading down to the dungeons.

"Snape," I said coldly. "I need to ask you something."

"Black," he replied bitterly.

"What spell did he cast on your arm?" I asked.

"Who?"

"You know exactly who I'm talking about," I countered.

"What do you care, Black," Snape retorted absentmindedly.

Rolling my eyes, I snapped, "For Merlin's sake, just tell me."

"Protean Charm and another of his own invention," Snape said. "Why?"

"What is the other spell?" I asked.

"One of his own invention," Snape said, irritation mixing with growing forcfullness.

"How is it done?" I asked.

Finally slamming down the paper he was attempting to grade, Snape snapped, "Why the sudden interest, Ms. Black?"

"What do you care?" I retorted. When he made no more response, I lied, "I'm just trying to understand." Snape stared at me for a moment before grabbed a spare bit of parchment and scribbled on it for a moment before handing it over.

"That should quell your...curiosity," Snape said.

"Thanks, Snape," I said, taking it and beginning to look it over.

I was almost to the door when he said, "Whatever the real reason is for your interest, you should know that I will find out." I didn't even blink.

................................................................

                     - By Order of -

  The High Inquisitor of Hogwarts

All Student Organisations, Societies, Teams, Groups, and Clubs are henceforth disbanded. An Organisation, Society, Team, Group, or Club is hereby defined as a regular meeting of three or more students. Permission to re-form may be sought from the High Inquisitor (Professor Umbridge). No Student Organisation, Society, Team, Group, or Club may exist without the knowledge and approval of the High Inquisitor. Any student found to have formed, or to belong to, an Organisation, Society, Team, Group, or Club that has not been approved by the High Inquisitor will be expelled.

The above is in accordance with Educational Decree Number Twenty-Four.

Sighed:

Dolores Jane Umbridge

High Inquisitor

I scoffed. Rounding on Fred, I fumed, "You realize what this means? No Quidditch!" With a frustrated sigh, I stormed towards the portrait hole.

"Do you want me to come with you?" Fred asked, coming after me.

"No," I snapped. "I can handle my own Quidditch team." He sighed and left me alone. I went to Umbridge's office and waited a moment, taking a deep breath in and out, and straightened up as much as I could. After collecting myself, I knocked on the door.

"Come in," a high, girlish voice requested. I took in another deep breath and stepped into her office.

"Good morning, Professor," I said, giving her a sweet smile. "Is your day going well so far?"

"Oh yes, quite so," she replied, taking a sip of tea. "What can I do for you?"

"It's about the Quidditch team," I admitted. "May I sit?" She nodded, gesturing to one of the seats in front of her. I sat, crossing my legs and sitting up as straight as I could. "With your permission, I'd like to make my case."

"Go ahead," she replied.

"Quidditch is one of the most important parts of the Hogwarts experience. Most Hogwarts alumni will tell you that some of their fondest memories are from Quidditch games and the celebratory parties afterward. I want to help be apart of that and both give the Gryffindors a show they won't forget and a chance to teach my team what it means to work together toward a common goal.

"I'd think you'd understand the importance of that, wouldn't you, Professor? After all, without wizards and witches working together, we can't advance as a society. And this is my last chance to do so before I graduate."

After thinking a moment, Professor Umbridge asked, "In what field are you currently considering work?"

"Curse-breaker," I admitted. "A teacher when I get older."

"I shall consider your proposition. In the meantime, do remind Mr. Potter to keep up on his work. He is struggling to stay on top of things. And to hold his tongue."

"Of course, Professor," I said, giving her a bright smile and shaking my head slightly as if to give her the idea that I thought Harry was just a silly boy who was making a few silly mistakes. The moment I was out of her office, I gagged and shuttered.