38 // winging it

// cate //

Luke was gone when she woke up, her mood instantly falling as a result. However, the slip of paper on her pillow with scribbled words caught her attention.

Happy birthday baby [a scrawled heart]
I'm sorry for leaving you but I'm setting a few things up for later today :-)
Aimee made you breakfast and Burt gave us off today
Also, Mali's taking you somewhere special in the afternoon
I love you
  - Luke

The biggest smile grew on her face the longer she gazed at the note. She felt her stomach flip at the thought of Luke putting so much effort into her birthday.

Aimee later brought the fore-mentioned breakfast into her room, setting it on the desk as Cate continued to dig through her clothing. She had a lot- but she didn't feel like anything was right for today.

Eventually she settled on a flowy white top with small red flowers and a pair of skinny jeans Calum had Aliyah buy her as a graduation present. Calum tried.

"Aye, your boyfriend is very picky," Aimee was saying as she stood by the desk, watching Catelynn apply a thin layer of makeup.

"Picky?" Cate asked, raising an eyebrow with amusement. "I didn't get that vibe from him."

"Oh, Aimee, make the eggs like this! Oh, Aimee, do you know if she likes pulp in her orange juice or not? Oh, Aimee, I'll go to the store and get both." She rolled her eyes in mock disgust. "I cannot handle that much at six in the morning."

Catelynn just laughed, capping the lid to her chapstick. "I'm sure he was just trying to make everything perfect."

"Yes, but I've known you for eighteen times longer than he has. This is an outrage."

She was clearly kidding now, in no way upset at Luke. It was just irritation.

"Happy birthday," she muttered jokingly, closing the door.

She bit back a grin at Aimee's disapproval, taking a seat at her desk.

Sometimes she felt as if she didn't deserve Luke for all the thought and effort he put into everything he did for her.

//

"Mali, where are we going?"

"I told you already; it's a surprise!"

"I want to see," she insisted childishly, not a big fan of the bandana wrapped over her eyes.

"I'm sorry, but your tall Australian boyfriend said to keep it secret," Mali rebuked her.

The car had stopped.

"He won't know," she tried again.

"Yes, he will." A deep voice from the other side of her head startled her. Catelynn could hear the amusement in his tone, and from the air hitting her face, she assumed her was standing next to her now opened car window.

"Can I see now?"

Luke chuckled. "Just wait, okay?"

She pouted, crossing her arms.

Her car door was pulled open, and she felt his arms slip around her. He wrapped her legs around his waist, and with a quick 'thank you' to Mali, he swung the door closed, still holding Catelynn.

She heard the car pull out of wherever it was parked before driving away.

Luke pressed a kiss to her lips. "Happy birthday, doll."

"Thank you. For the breakfast too."

"Of course," he started walking.

"Aimee seemed a little disgruntled when she gave it to me."