On Vacation

Harry bent down and picked up a suitcase from the floor. Unfortunately, the suitcase was almost as big as himself and certainly as heavy as the thirteen-year-old boy. Harry sighed, if only his family would help him they would be ready in no time and left for Matlock Bath, in Derbyshire, about 170 miles from Little Whining.

Harry went on to pack Uncle Vernon's station wagon. He had done this many times before, but this was the first time he was allowed to go. He had started with Dudley's suitcase, which was the largest and the heaviest. His uncle and aunt's suitcases followed, each a fraction smaller than Dudley's. The trunk was stuffed with Dudley and Uncle Vernon's favorite snacks. His uncle and aunt, apparently, thought there were no good supermarkets in Derbyshire, given the number of provisions.

Harry closed the building with a small television, video player, and Nintendo. He built this in with cushions all around so that the ride wouldn't damage the Dursleys' expensive belongings. He had his own clothes and belongings in a knapsack, which he kept on his lap during the ride.

"Aren't you ready yet? We have to go now if we want to avoid the biggest traffic jams." Uncle Vernon snapped at Harry.

"Just finished, sir," Harry said, wiping the sweat from his forehead.

As if the starting gun had been fired, his relatives ran to the car and took their seats. Harry sat behind his aunt, this was deliberate because behind her was the least legroom. His aunt liked to sit with her chair back so that her long legs had room. "There are luxury horses and there are workhorses," she had always said, and Harry didn't have to ask what category he fell under.

The ride went ... As Harry expected. They stopped every 60 to 70 miles so that Dudley could stretch his legs. Harry stayed in the car all these times, he found all stopping unnecessary; three hours of non-stop driving was doable. In the meantime, Harry read the book, 'Potions, Dos and Don'ts' . The book explained everything Harry had fallen short in Potions class in the last three years.

Harry learned that there were two ways to approach potions, this was by counting and timing; the way that Professor Snape taught, or the instinctive way. The second way was more intuitive and was strongly related to the feeling of the Potioneer: he had to estimate the thickness, the smell, and the method of solution of the magic potion to achieve a good result.

It soon became clear to Harry that he belonged to the second category. When cooking dinner, Harry never used the timer, he cooked everything on taste, aroma, consistency, etc. He had hoped that his extensive cooking skills would help with Snape's lessons, but the opposite had proved time and time again. But now, with this book, he finally felt the tide was going to turn.

After four (unnecessary) breaks and one dramatic explosion from Dudley; his cousin was so bored that he started throwing his Discman, which he immediately regretted, forcing another stop to the nearest electronics store; the family had finally arrived at their destination.

The Dursleys stayed in a cozy Bed & Breakfast on the edge of the village of Matlock Bath. The establishment overlooked the Heights of Abraham, a beautiful mountain with alluring parks, mysterious caves, and a gondola lift that could take you to the top. The Dursleys were especially happy with this, all the options not to move were a big plus.

The Dursleys had a family room, with two large king-size beds, one for his aunt and uncle and the other for Dudley. Harry had his own room, his uncle had arranged that he could sleep in the smallest room available. This room was also far from his family's. The joke was on them, Harry was delighted with his small room: he had his own bed and bathroom and could do whatever he wanted in the room. The Dursleys had also opted to book dinner as well, so Harry had at least two meals a day. The next three weeks would therefore be one of the best weeks with the Dursleys.