ONE -  ワン

"You want me to play your little game? Fine, I'll play your little game." She sat staring at the man standing across from her, a smirk on his face as he pulls a chair out and sits across from her. "Very well, I'll be the king and you'll be the queen." He says, moving the chess board towards her, allowing her to make the first move.

It's been two year since her father had passed away, leaving her alone with her mother who was struggling then most with her fathers death. It was unexpected actually, dying in a plane crash on his way to a business trip that mother told him not to go to. She remembers the argument they had the night before his departure, she could hear their harsh whispers as her mother tried to stop her farther from leaving. But, of course, he refused to listen to her and left the next morning only for him to never return.

The day they received the news her mother became devastated, crying and sobbing at the lose of her husband. Y/n had to be the one to take care of her struggles, pushing school and work aside as she watched over her mother and made sure that she got better. She was the adult in this small family, being in charge of everything at such a young age. After a year an a half, they both made a choice to move out of the area from living in the city to moving to a small town named Beacon Hills.

At first, it became a very easy decision, her mother wanted to leave their old childhood home and move to a new palace where they can restart together. Y/n didn't mind leaving the city, she always hated crowded places and the people and wouldn't mind living in an area that could feel a lot more relaxing and quiet.

The two spent their last month packing and giving things away, so that their moving trip will be a lot easier when it came to moving things to a new house. She remembers watching her mother throw out all of her fathers things; clothes, shoes, accessions, pictures, etc. At first she thought her mother needed some closure on her own and understood as to why she would throw that stuff out, but what really caught her attention was the missing wedding ring that her mother used to wear. She stopped wearing it after a month from her fathers funeral, after that it went missing. Only for Y/n to find it in a pawn shop when she went to give some of her old stuff away that could be worth some money.

She was curious as too why her mother gave the ring away, most grieving partners would carry their rings around as a memory of their loved ones and marriage. She didn't question her mother about it, instead she ignored the strange feeling inside of her and continued on with life.

But, that same strange feeling lingered inside of her after two months of living in Beacon hills, she wakes up every morning, earlier than her mother and gets ready for the day. She spends most of her time indoors, helping around the house. Other times she will go outside and take a walk around the park but today was different, today was her first day at her new school. She was anxious on meeting new people and on trying to catch up with the semester, lets just hope the teachers are nice enough to let her blow off last semester and start off fresh.

"Morning!" Her mother chirps, a bright smile on her face as she walks around the kitchen. Y/n raises a brow at her mothers sudden excitement, "You woke up nicely." She mutters out, taking a bite from her plain toast, too tried to make herself anything proper. "It's a wonderful day and its your first day at a new school, also senior year. " she added, sitting across from her as she ate the food that Y/n prepared for her. "Don't remind me, I was enjoying my sleeping in days until school decided to come around the corner, lets just hope I can finish this school year a lot earlier than usual so that I can head off to college." She explains, drinking her juice and heading towards the sink to wash the cup that she used.

"Remind me again what you wanted to study?" Her mother asked, tilting her head to the side as Y/n chuckles. "I told you that I wanted to study homicide, have been doing studying of my own for awhile now so no matter what college throws at me, ill be able to pass it very easily." She grins, grabbing her bag and jacket. "I'm heading out, finish your food and DO NOT feed the crows! A few days ago one of your little friends decided to slam itself against my bedroom window." Her mother looks away shyly, "You know I love those crows and can't help but feed them." She admits, giving y/n a glare who only rolls her eyes. "Still. No more feeding." She warns while pointing a finger at her before leaving the house.