Ch. 41: Guide Me Home

Start from the beginning

"And that should be it for this week's meeting. Thank you all for coming out and be blessed."

I startled awake with a soft snort at my grandmother's dismissal, the loud scrap of benches along the stone floor mixed with the low mummer of voices telling me that I had actively slept through most of the meeting. I had tried my best to pay attention and decide on a good person to ask but it was hard to stay engaged when you had nothing to do with what was being said.

Subtly trying to stretch a kink out of my back from staying in one spot too long, I observed the other coven members pass me by without so much as a glance in my direction. I hated that their disregard still hurt, especially since it was over something I couldn't control. I couldn't help that my magic was practically nonexistent or that my mother was a flighty airhead. I'd heard some of the elders' gossip where Grandmother couldn't hear them that it was a punishment from the universe for the way my mother had abandoned us. That perhaps this was a sign that a new family takes control.

I think it was more likely that the universe just had a fucked up sense of humor.

As sad as it was, I knew I wouldn't be missed when I left. Most of the coven would probably be relieved not to have a barely functional witch trying to manage things and run what was barely left of the coven into the ground. Grandmother would be upset but not because she missed me. No, she'd be angry that there wasn't anyone left in our family line to take over. The coven that our family had run for generations would be given to someone new. Someone more deserving could handle the responsibilities that came with being Matriarch.

It was only when I knew everyone else had gone that I slipped out of my pew, silently heading for the entrance when voices towards the back stopped me.

"Celeste, do you mind finishing up here? I'm not feeling so good tonight." That was my grandmother's voice.

"Of course, Matriarch. Is there anything I can get you before you go? Perhaps a cup of soothing tea?" A feminine but husky voice replied.

"Thank you for the offer dear, but I think I'll make my own when I get home. These old bones aren't what they used to be."

"Of course. I'll drop off more tomorrow if that's alright."

Crouching low as not to be seen, I shuffled forward just enough to see my grandmother's wrinkled face twist into a rare smile. "That would be lovely. You have a gift for creating the finest blends that do what they're supposed to. That's not a gift that can be taught."

The other woman dipped her head in thanks, her face obscured by a thick mane of strawberry blonde hair.

"See you tomorrow then." My grandmother wasted no time in collecting the cane she only used when her legs were bothering her and hobbled for the rear exit by the offices and away from me.

Celeste.

Now, why didn't I think of her?

Possibly our coven's most powerful witch and my grandmother's prodigy, she was one of the few people that had always been nice to me and didn't judge me on my lack of magic. And she was often the first pick to send into the local human town to run monthly errands. I wanted to facepalm at how obvious the choice was.

Getting to my feet, I made a show of loudly shuffling my shoes so I wouldn't startle her more than I had to. Still, she swung around in surprise, her bright blue eyes widening when she saw who it was.