Nova

"And that one there," Birger announced to one a scuttling servant in your room, his arms full of books he couldn't seem to balance. "No, no, to your left. It is hidden under the wardrobe."

"Yes sir."

Birger, struggling with the books in his arms, groaned and turned to his assistant, handing him instead the pile of books. "Check under the bed as well. I don't wish to leave a single scroll behind."

"Of course."

"Sir what shall we do with these?" A young maid stepped up beside Birger, her arms holding as many books as possible with a few others behind her in the same state.

"Take them away for now. You will receive your instructions in a moment."

The few young maids and footmen grabbed the many books moved from your previous room. And with them piled high in their arms they rushed the multitudes of knowledge away from your new quarters.

Birger's assistant stood from the floor, finding only a small poetry book under the bed. "Sir, that seems to be all of them. This is the only one that seemed to have been left behind ."

"Good. Very good." Birger took the book from his assistant and turned quickly through the pages. "Return them all to the library. Place them where they belong and don't mix up the order again. The prince worked so very hard to reorganize the shelves."

"Right away, Birger." The young man bowed his head before turning and rushing away. Leaving both you and Birger in the silence of the closet-like room.

Birger clasped his hands together, looking around the length of the servant's quarters now transformed into something trying its best to be anything more than a closet with a bed and a wardrobe.

"Well," Birger began with a false smile on his lips. ", now, I suppose, there is absolutely nothing more to distract you from your new duties."

With your back still facing both him and the door, your folded your ankles and nodded your head, not bothering to turn around and speak to the man behind you. Only staring down to the floor keeping your mouth tightly shut.

Birger taped the tip of his foot for a long moment as he glanced around the room in an attempt to find anything that could relieve the tension. A moment later, he walked over to the nightstand on the other side of your bed, reorganizing the contents upon it. "There will be an event in the village you must attend with his royal highness in a week or so. Announcing your engagement." He stared at the two things he moved before standing up straight and once again looking at you. "You are obliged to attend that, of course."

You turned you head ever so slightly to the side and bowed your head.

Birger nodded quite quickly before picking up the papers from behind you on the bed and sorting through them. "I expect you have gone over all the information you were asked to."

"Yes."

Birger proudly grinned looking up from the papers then straight back down. "I'm not sure they never explained to you how important they truly are." He proceeded to walk around the twin-sized bed to stand just beside you on the other side. "These rules have been set in place for so many years. Many at higher levels of power tend to follow throughout their marriage. If not only for a few decades or so. With very few exceptions."

"And I am not qualified for such exceptions?"

"Norns no." He chuckled. "You especially must represent everything others wish to be. So a dutiful and true wife is all you will be."

Birger set the papers down on the vanity in front of you and walked quickly over to your wardrobe. Tossing open the doors he looked through the multitude of new dresses lining the rack. Each and everyone dressed in dark green. Matching the prince's cape strung across your bed. "All your new clothes seem to be in order." he swerved to look at you behind him. "What do you think you should wear to this coming event then? I have always believed it best to prepare for these things."