Chapter 5 - Aesthetic

Aesthetic/esˈTHedik/ - (adj) concerned with beauty or the appreciation of beauty

"Now what's the meaning of your appearance? Is that your natural self, eh, Sohma Momiji?" The student council president, Takei, questions him. Momiji points at himself at this. "Have you no male pride? If you're like this at your age, your life is on the fast track to failure!"

Momiji, on the verge of crying, defends his actions. "But... But this uniform looks better on me!"

Tohru stands in front of him, arms held out. "U-um, please don't be too harsh on him--"

"I am not being harsh, Honda Tohru! I am expressing an opinion in accordance with common sense."

The group of high schoolers suddenly hear a pair of footsteps coming up the stairs, making them turn towards the sound. A head of blond makes an appearance and then the figure makes its way onto the main floor. "And what is made up of common sense? Experience? Societal norms? Common sense has no place when it is always different in the eyes of each individual."

Tohru and Momiji light up at the familiar voice.

"Schwester!" Momiji runs towards Mayumi, hugging her waist. Her hands come up to cradle his face and she looks at him with a gentle smile.

"Hello, Momiji. The uniform looks cute on you."

"Hehe."

"Mayumi-san! It's nice to see you again!" Tohru greets her as she also comes near. The young woman pats her head as she smiles at her as well. "Hello, Tohru. It's been a while since we last met."

Snapping out of his infatuated daze from seeing the attractive female, he clears his throat. "Even so, miss, he is a boy and should act it. What will people think when they see him like this?"

They suddenly sensed an influx of a dark aura and they turned towards the source, immediately tensing up. "Shut up."

The council president rotates his body just to see Hatsuharu with a menacing demeanor, making him screech. "Quit playing king of the hill, you human trash."

"Wh-Wh-Wh-Wha--" He ends up on the floor, tipping over.

"Oi, Haru!"

"Um, Hatsuharu-san..."

Kyo and Tohru try to verbally stop him, but that doesn't work as Hatsuharu wasn't giving them the time of day.

"Fine, let me ask you: are guys wearing neckties never muggers? Are guys without piercings never bullies? Do guys with black hair never murder people?!" Hatsuharu's tone reflects his actions as he stomps over and grabs him by the collar, lifting him up. "Who do you think you are, eh? God?"

The three second years watch on in exasperation and the same thought goes through them. Black has arrived.

Kyo turns to the only adult in their vicinity. "Yumi-nee, shouldn't you be trying to stop this--" He halts himself when he sees the small smirk playing on her red lips. "Well, I'll step in when he gets too violent. But I also think that the council president needs a reality check."

Hatsuharu starts shaking him with his grip still on his collar. "Well, ain't that something! Give us a few words, God! Go on!"

"Mr. President!"

Somehow, when Kyo tries to step in more assertively, Hatsuharu turns the argument on him. While everyone was watching, Mayumi gave Momiji two lollipops. He accepts them with a smile and offers one to her, but Mayumi shakes her head, instead gesturing to the girl beside them. He lifts it up for her, asking, "Want some candy, Tohru?"