035

october 28th, 2020
9:54 pm

SUNDAY DIDN'T KNOW HOW SHE DID IT, but she managed to hold in her tears all the way home

But now her eyes were blurring too much to find the keys to her house, causing Sunday to ring the doorbell incessantly.

"Open the door. Please!" Sunday cried then lifted her fist to strike it against the front door.

"Pops! Pops!" Sunday's finger was starting to hurt from repeatedly pressing the doorbell.

"Who the hell-?" Henry started to say when he opened the door then stopped at the sight of Sunday about to start crying.

"Sunny bunny? What's wrong? What happened?" Henry gently pulled her into the house and closed the door.

"You were right. You were right. I messed up. I messed up really bad, pops." Sunday dropped her duffle bag by the door and then sobbed into her father's shirt.

"Okay. Okay. Okay," Henry said in a soothing tone and tightened his hold on her just the tiniest bit.

"What's going on, Sunny Bunny? Tell me what happened." Henry continued.

Sunday shook her head adamantly, "I can't. I just can't. I messed up."

"I can't help you if you don't tell me what's wrong," Henry said, his face now full with worry.

Sunday shook her head once more and then stuck her face back into her father's shirt, not wanting to speak any more.

Henry nodded, "Whatever, it is... I'm sure it will work itself out. For now, just... Go put on some pajamas and I'll make you some hot chocolate."

"No," Sunday croaked then stepped back and wiped her left eye, "I think I'm just gonna go to bed. It's been a long day."

Henry looked like he wanted to object for a second but simply nodded before gently placing his hand on the back of Sunday's skull and then kissed her forehead, "Okay. Good night."

Sunday popped off her shoes by the beginning of the hall before padding off to her old room.

The moonlight flooding in exposed the left over pieces of glass from that fateful day in August.

Carelessly, Sunday picked up the jagged pieces of glass and tossed them into a plastic bag covered trash can by the door.

Quickly she opened a drawer that still held some pajamas that she had left and took out an old t-shirt and cotton shorts with ice cream cones printed all over before closing the blinds so that she could change clothes.