022

october 1st, 2020
7:38 pm

BRANDON KNEW IMMEDIATELY that this was a mistake

He realized it first in the car when Kylah had started with her incessant questioning but now that the quartet were sitting down at the closest restaurant to campus, a reasonable creole place that was blasting a mix of Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington and Billie Holiday, he was beginning to wonder if getting Sunday an Uber back to campus was the best course of action.

Brandon knew that Kylah meant well, she couldn't hurt a fly even if she tried but Sunday was barely hiding how uncomfortable she was.

He needed to find a way to get Kylah to stop.

The four were sitting at a table in the middle of the restaurant, with glasses of water and menus on top.

Kylah and Terrence were discussing which NCAA region was better, the southern region or the northeast.

Sunday was quiet and Brandon discreetly tapped her hand.

When he did so, Sunday retreated her hand, causing the two other members of the group to turn their attentions to her.

"You okay?" Kylah asked in a genuine tone.

"Yeah. My blood sugar is low." Sunday gave Kylah a fake smile.

When Kylah glanced at Terrence who shook his head before taking a gulp of his water, Brandon knew that Kylah saw how unreal the smile was.

Finally, the server, a blond boy who looked to be at least seventeen came to the table, "What can I get you today?"

The four told the server their respective orders and then he bowed a little then walked away.

Sunday coughed a little then turned to Kylah, "So UCLA, huh?"

Kylah nodded, "Yeah."

"What are you studying?" Sunday asked.

Brandon narrowed his eyes a little as he looked back and forth between the two girls.

"Psychology. You?" Kylah took a sip of her water and Brandon tried not to make his sigh of relief too obvious.

It was a friendly conversation now not just Kylah pestering for information.

"Political science. Do you play basketball like BJ?"

At the question, Brandon and Terrence let out snickers.