023

october 2nd, 2020
6:11 pm

SUNDAY SLID THE KEY INTO the front door of her home back in Louisville

After last night, familiarity was needed desperately and coming home was the perfect way to receive some.

The house was mostly quiet except for Sunday's brother, Noah, playing on an old DS at the kitchen table.

He looked up and raised an eyebrow at Sunday's appearance, "What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be at school?"

"I missed you too, bubba." Sunday said in a sarcastic tone as she closed the front door and moved to take off her Vans, "Where's dad?"

"He's at-. He's right behind you." Noah said before flicking his eyes back to the device in his hands.

Sunday sighed before whirling around at the sight of her father, who was still in his work uniform.

"Sunny bunny, what are you doing here?" Henry raised an eyebrow.

"I'm home for the weekend..." Sunday raised her arms in celebration, "Surprise!"

Henry gave his daughter an exasperated look, "I thought I told you to call so I can come and get you when you wanna come home."

"I know, I know. This was kinda a spur of the moment decision." Sunday dropped her overnight bag on the ground sheepishly.

Henry studied Sunday's face carefully for a couple of seconds, "We'll talk later. I have to finish changing the oil on a Honda so can you go and get dinner somewhere? Y'all can choose. Noah, where's my flashlight?"

"It's on your dresser," Noah answered back and Henry moved to go to his bedroom in the back of the one story house.

"I want Raising Cane's." Noah said.

"The usual?" Sunday took Henry's car keys off of the hook and then slid her feet into her sneakers.

"Ya!" Noah replied back without looking at Sunday.

Sunday shook her head as she stepped out onto the porch to the driveway.

The drive to the nearest Raising Cane's was at least ten minutes and when Sunday arrived, she groaned at how long the drive thru was.

The line of cars wrapped around the tan and red franchised building.

"Ugh." Sunday rolled her eyes as her cell phone began to vibrate with a call from the cup holder.

It was Brandon.

He had been hitting her up on and off throughout today and Sunday had gone awol both through the phone and on campus.

Facing him just felt like the completely wrong decision at the moment.

Sunday took another peek at the long line then produced another groan as she moved to park the car.

Clearly, getting the food and getting back to my room in under twenty minutes wasn't happening now.

Sunday parked the car on the left side of the restaurant and then slowly got out of the hooptie, her right hand lightly pulling on the strings to her hoodie.

The restaurant was only a little crowded due to it being a Friday night and Sunday moved to stand in the line for the cash register.

There were five people in front of her and Sunday lifted her chin a bit to properly examine the menu to determine what she wanted to eat.

"Sunny?"

At the sound of the masculine voice calling out her nickname, Sunday's stomach started to twist.

That can't be.

He doesn't have this much nerve, does he?

"Sunny? Sunday!"

Sunday closed her eyes tight and shook her head.

If she ignored him, maybe he would go away.

But such wasn't Sunday's luck.

A hand gently touched her shoulder and Sunday bit back a curse before turning around.

Zion was standing before her, looking Sunday in her eyes.

He offered a soft smile, "What's up? How are you?"

Sunday blinked, "Are you... Are you serious right now?"

The line in front of her shortened by a person and Sunday moved forward a little.

Zion stuck his tongue out just a little, "Yeah, I... That was a stupid question."

Sunday remained quiet and Zion took the opportunity to speak once more, "Look, I'm not trying to ruin your night. I just wanted to clear the air."

"There's nothing to clear." Sunday shuffled forward just a little more, "I'm fine, we're fine, this is fine."

Zion frowned a little, "I know you remember? Better than almost anyone. I shouldn't have ended things that way and I wanted to see if being friends was possible."

Sunday allowed herself one long glance in his direction, detecting his usual uniform of a t-shirt, joggers and a gold chain before forcing herself to look back at the menu.

"I don't know about having any new friends right now." Sunday decided to say.

It was like her heart had been freshly broken and not like it had been a little over two months since Sunday and Zion had last seen each other.

"I'm not new. I've been here forever. Just because we're not together anymore doesn't mean we can't be cordial." Zion sighed at Sunday's continued silence.

"You know my mom asks me about you all the time." Sunday could hear how fast her heart was pumping blood throughout her body and she was starting to wonder if Zion could hear it as well.

"Yeah, well." Sunday managed to say as she got closer to the cash register.

Zion licked his bottom lip, "Okay, well... I guess I'll see you around."

He placed his hand on her shoulder once more, his fingers warm on her bone, "Just... Maybe think about it. That's all I'm asking."

Then he stepped away and out of line, leaving Sunday struggling to breathe.

NOTE FROM KY
The semester is over so I'm back!
College was beating my ass highkey lmaoooo
anyways🤧
vote & comment, porfa!