He didn't want to, or has any intention to.

"May I ask why?"

He knew what the answer was, he didn't know why he asked in the first place. However, when he glanced up to meet her eyes, she was already staring back at him. Maddie only remained silent as she continued playing their little staring contest. She wasn't going to tell him, he already anticipated what the answer could be.

"Sorry," he whispered, removing his eyes away from her and scooping another bite full of food onto the fork. He fed it to her and she willingly took the bite, chewing it for several seconds before swallowing. He cleared his throat, grabbing her attention. "After you have finished with your food, I'll be leaving to get some groceries. Okay?"

"Why are y—you telling me?" Her anxious stuttering was cute to him, making a warm feeling enter his stomach.

"Because I wanted to. Would you like anything, though?"

She considered him for a moment, eyeing his face as if trying to figure out something. Both her dark brows were raised as she continued to analyse him.

"No." Her voice was so soft and tender, yet it was as sharp as a knife cutting him like paper.

He frowned. "Chocolate?"

She shook her head, keeping her gaze down at her fiddling fingers in her lap.

"Chips?"

Shakes her head.

"Nothing at all?"

She gave him a glance through her lashes, not bothering to lift her head up to look at him properly. She nodded her head. "Nothing at all."

▬▬▬▬

He wanted to get her something nice. Something that would bring a smile to her pink lips. But as he looked around the supermarket, a basket in his hand filled with food and drinks for the next few days, he couldn't find anything. He was just needing one more thing to add to his pile of groceries.

He walked down the sweets aisle, scanning the shelves for anything Maddie might desire to snack on. Instead of getting one thing, he got white, milk and dark chocolate — not sure which one she preferred. He also threw in some snakes and Sour Patch Kids.

The Sour Patch Kids were mainly for him, liking the sour to sweet taste of them dissolving on his tongue.

He stepped back and trailed his hazel eyes over everything again, making sure there wasn't anything else he wanted to get her. Looking at the packaging of everything, waiting for that small flash of excitement to slip into his veins, expecting Maddie to smile at the sight of it when he gives it to her.

Maybe he should get her chocolate milk, too? Chocolate milk made everyone feel better, right?

He got the two litre chocolate milk and was now waiting in line to pay for his groceries. And as he was waiting, the announcement over the radio station playing through the speakers caught his attention.

"—mation please let the police know. I repeat; missing persons announcement: a young woman named Maddie Albah, age eighteen went missing on Sunday, July fifteenth at around seven-forty-five PM to eight PM. Last seen at the Cairns Showgrounds, wearing a white shirt and a pair of light washed jean shorts. Skin colour is light brown. Hair is described as wavy brown and past her shoulders. She's five foot five in height. If you find her or have any information please let the police know. Thank you for your time."

Reece's muscles tensed up as he listened to the report, hearing them describe Maddie. She was only eighteen? So young and fragile, but at least she was free to grow into her skin.

The first time he saw her that night, she looked so trapped and suffocated from the life she was probably living in. A life she probably didn't even want to be in. Yet, he wants her to flourish and look healthier, watch her smile without it looking forced like she has done it a million times before. He could just tell by looking at her arms and legs she wasn't eating well, the bones in her elbows easily seen. Her skin pale, like all the life was sucked out of her. She was basically withering away.

She was safer with him and he wasn't going to let anyone touch her, not even hurt her.

He quickly paid for his groceries before catching the bus near where he was standing. It was an old house he's had for a few years now, just a place to lay back when he was working in Cairns. He has other places around Australia, some smaller than others, but he doesn't usually stay for more than a week each time.

When he stepped inside his house, walking into the kitchen and placing the two heavy bags of groceries on the bench. He grabbed everything out and placed them either in the fridge or the cabinets. When he was done he filled a glass of chocolate milk and grabbed the three chocolate bars, before walking upstairs and knocking on the door. He waited a few seconds before opening it, struggling a bit as he was holding the chocolates in the same hand.

He looked up to find her asleep, her soft breathing showing as her chest raised and fell. She was facing toward him, her right wrist still trapped within the handcuff. He really didn't want to use them on her, but he knew she'd run away back to her old life if she wasn't. However, he knew she'd come to trust his intentions with her — to nurture and protect her for those trying to bring her down. She just needed someone that would allow her to grow. And that someone was him.

He walked over to the bedside table where her empty glass was, placing the blocks of chocolate down. He took the empty glass and decided to give the chocolate milk to her later when she woke up. And as he continued to stare at her peaceful face, he could see the beauty behind her dark, shadowed eyes. Her hair was a mess and he wanted to comb through it for her, except he didn't want to freak her out even more.

The corners of his lips twitched upward softly as he continued to watch her sleep, before leaving the room seconds later.

AUTHOR'S NOTE

Word Count: 1500+

Sorry for the short chapter! Hoped you enjoyed Reece's first pov chapter in this book! Please let me know your thoughts! Love you guys!

— DYLAN.