After a few silent moments, he said: "Here, open."

She obeyed and opened her mouth for him, he then put the fork into her mouth. She ate the fluffy sweet goodness with ease, everything just melting in her mouth. She chewed quickly before swallowing. "Reece?"

Her voice was so quiet and soft she was afraid he didn't hear her, but when he locked eye contact with her and waited patiently for her to continue, she asked: "How old are you?"

He redirected his gaze down to her plate as he answered. "Twenty-five. You, flower?"

Her throat closed up, not expecting him to ask her for her age. Was it okay to tell him? Maybe it wasn't—  yeah . . . it definitely wasn't okay to tell her kidnapper her age. The best thing she could do was lie and say she was fifteen, but she didn't know if he was a kidnapper and a pedophile.

She didn't listen to herself. "I turned eighteen on July fifteenth," she said, almost trying to hide the fact that was the day she was kidnapped.

As her words slipped from her chapped pink lips from licking them constantly, Reece's eyes widened as his brows were raised. He stared at her, looking so shocked and pale in the face. He cleared his throat seconds later, darting his eyes away and at the food, playing with it with the metal utensil. "Happy birthday."

It was so guilt ridden a sharp pain stabbed her heart as she continued to watch him mess around with her food. The tears she thought were gone seemed to water her eyes, making the backs of her sockets prickle with pain. Her throat only tightening as a second question was pending on her lips.

"W—Why did you kidnap me, Reece?" A tear fell from her eyes, feeling all of her previous emotions about this situation hit her like a crashing wave, suffocating her in its cold waters. "Why?"

He trailed his eyes to meet hers once more, a look of sorrow in his hazel eyes. His Adam's apple bobbing as he swallowed, it was like he was trying to swallow the words he actually wanted to say but chose against. He shook his head with slight micro movements as he said: "You were suffocating out there. Alone to fend for yourself—" he paused, his soft head movements stopping as he looked her dead in the eyes. "You're safer with me."

"S—Safer?"

"Maddie, trust me." There was a plea in his gravel voice, a look of desperation slowly morphing his facial expression as his brows and the corners of his lips pulled down. She looked at him with soaked eyes, feeling a thousand sobs in the back of her throat just wanting to escape past her chapped pink lips.

"How c—can I?"

It seemed like her words took him by surprise, the colour draining from his face as Maddie could see the nuts and bolts turning in his orbs. She quickly and insecurely wiped her wet cheeks, feeling the salty liquid dampen her petite palms.

"Whoever was looking after you, flower, they didn't care . . . but I do."

▬▬▬▬

She sat on the bed, staring down at her fingers and noticing how her thumbnail had dug into the side of her index finger, creating an indent and redness to show in her skin. Maybe she should just give up and ask him to get whatever he wanted to do with her  over and done with. She was sure he just wanted to shove his dick into her multiple times a day as she cried to stop, but he wouldn't listen to her weak demands because she was just his victim.